Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bigger Trimarans?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, it would be better to just get the searail. I have been talking with someone in Minnesota (not sure if it’s the manufacturer or a dealer) but he has a demo for 27k and a new folding one for 34k. At those prices I can pick up a 24 MK2 or for 40s I have found a few 750s (dash and sprints).

Also I found out the F-22 base models will be made in SW Asia and was not on the price list. They still might come in around 50k. The F-22S and R models are made in NZ and start at 78k but priced out with the basics (like a trailer and shipping) you are at 100k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a good look at the Corsair 760 and Dragonfly 25 at our boat show. I walked all around the decks/tramps and sat inside both cabins. I preferred the Corsairs folding system and deck layout but liked the inside of the Dragonfly better. It was much roomier due to the offset centreboard. The centrally mounted board on the Corsair really took up a lot of room.
The Dragonfly was another $60k dearer as well ending up being around AUD$180k.
If I wanted such a big trimaran I think an F22 with the offset centreboard option would be my pick. Farrier have just been taken over by US based Daedalus Yachts so production should eventually ramp up.
I have decided though that none of these boats are really what I am after.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tpdavis473 wrote:
Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
If one was to convert an H14/16 into a Tri, what would make for a good main hull, and wouldn't the asymmetrical amas preclude the need for a centerboard?

I'm not saying you can't do it...it just would be a kluge. That being said, Dick Newick did just that and created the tremolinos which were pretty decent sailing vessels. http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/the-clas ... is-reborn/

So you're saying that only if Dick Newick builds a Tri from an H16 then it’s not a kluge, or that the Tremolino, in your opinion, is a kluge also?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
If one was to convert an H14/16 into a Tri, what would make for a good main hull, and wouldn't the asymmetrical amas preclude the need for a centerboard?

I'm not saying you can't do it...it just would be a kluge. That being said, Dick Newick did just that and created the tremolinos which were pretty decent sailing vessels. http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/the-clas ... is-reborn/

So you're saying that only if Dick Newick builds a Tri from an H16 then it’s not a kluge, or that the Tremolino, in your opinion, is a kluge also?

Kinda the definition of a kluge, right?

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tpdavis473 wrote:
tpdavis473 wrote:

Kinda the definition of a kluge, right?

No, not really. Bolting PVC pipes to a hull with 2x4s would be considered a kluge. Adapting cat hulls to function as amas when there’s barely 10 cents worth of difference, not so much. But if the conversation is about replacing one’s Tandem Island with a Corsair or Dragonfly, then the concept doesn’t seem nearly so romantic. However, the economics and gradation are more closely related.

After a brief search, it appears this has been done quite often, with many different hull combos, and with some decent results, aesthetically, functionally, and performance-wise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used to own a Hobie Adventure Island - imported from the US to Norway in 2007. Great fun, quite well designed, so-so build quality, extremely wet for the relatively cold conditions here. I sold it after a few years, and am now looking for a folding trimaran with a cabin.
I compiled the following list of boats; place of production in brackets; the list only includes boats in production:
Dragonfly 25 (Danmark)
F22 (USA)
Corsair 760 (Vietnam)
Tricat 25 Evolution (France)
Astus 24 (France)
Libertist 703 (Poland)
Tricat 20 (France)
Astus 20.5 (France)
Not able to post with hyperlinks here, but you will find all of them on the Interet.
I have seen the Farrier F22; it is well built, light weight, but rather expensive.
I also like the Dragonfly, but a bit on the heavy side. I ended up with the Libertist 703, designed by Erik Lerouge.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zJ7eMZmBNVyKDhKr7
Good luck!