Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just sold my older (2006 and 2007) AIs and bought two new 2018 AIs. I love all the improvements - more about this when I have more time to post.

With my older boats, I had purchased 20' length of 4" PVC pipe and would simply slide my masts with sail furled around it in the tube, and that all I need to keep my sails out of UV damage. Slipping the furled mast and sail in the soft mast sock is quite a bit more of a challenge...

With the new boats, the top flange of the furling drum was increased from slightly under 4" to about 4" 1/4 - i.e it no longer fits in the 4" tubes and the next common PVC tube size is 6" (just go look at one at HomeDepot and you'll know why I not keen on increasing the diameter of my tubes).

Looking back at the drum, i can't see any obvious reason for the increase in size. Is there any reason I can't 'shave' 1/4" off the periphery of the top flange?

Xavier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would cut a few inches off your 4” pvc and add a 4” to 6” adapter and a short length of 6”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I started down that road, actually buying the 4" to 6" adapter, 2' long pieces of 6" and endcap, but the entire thing looks monstrous - so I abandoned that path.

Considering that the furling line leaves the drum toward the cleat at a downward angle, I can't see much risk in shaving some of the diameter of the upper flange. Can someone from Hobie comment on the reason for the change from not quite 4" diameter to 4"1/4 diameter for the upper flange - the change must have been made for a reason which would be helpful to known in this assessment, but is not at all clear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I may have found an easy solution that doesn't require 6" pipes or shaving some of the drum flange.

The diameter of the top drum flange being 4"1/4, it is less than the OD of a 4" PVC pipe, i.e. less than the ID of the 4" pipe coupler :-) My plan is therefore to add such a coupler at the end of my pipe, engage the mast as far as it will go (i.e. all the way to the drum and add a short piece of pipe at the end that will fit in the coupler. I'll add a pin to make sure it doesn't fall off while traveling. This remains at the planning stage at this time, but I'll try a remember to add pictures once I complete the storage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upload some pics when you get it finalized. I did what Defy mentioned with the 4" to 6" contrast and a few inches of 6" with a screw cap at the end. Works great on my trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas