Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie Tandem Offshore

Mr. Hobie, we need a new sailing kayak!

Hobie is renowned for their innovative engineering with water products. I remember when Hobart Hobie Alter introduced the original Hobie Cat 14 with asymmetrical twin hulls followed a few years later by the Hobie Cat 16. Hobie has introduced the groundbreaking surfboards, skateboards, remote controlled gliders, rotomolded polyethylene kayaks with mirage drives, sailing kayaks with mirage drives (TI/AI), electric propulsion (evolve motor) and Pedalboards (Eclipse).

Hobie continues to improve existing products by taking feedback from a very strong user community. Examples of incremental improvements include new rudder designs, Vantage CT seat, 180 Mirage drives, periodically refreshing hull shapes (example Hobie Adventure Island 2015) and spinnaker kit for Island series (AI, TI).

The culture of constant tinkering and experimenting by Hobie and their customers has created an innovative atmosphere for bringing fresh ideas to the market place. The tinkering spirit runs strong among the Hobie Island community. This post builds on many ideas sprinkled across the Hobie Island forum. Special mention to the ideas put forward by fusioneng and others on the forum.

So …. Where to start…..the reality….ideas for this post started a long time ago with the many post from the Island community on this forum…so…this is more a continuation of ideas…..

Purpose of this post / thread:
Put forth ideas for a potential new Island series kayak – proposed name Hobie Tandem Offshore….. with a focus on a stronger Hobie Island specifically designed for coastal offshore sailing adventures.

Where are we now with the existing Hobie AI/TI?
The current Hobie Island kayaks contain the EU CE certification for Class D boats that are built for protected or sheltered waters such as canals, rivers, small lakes and sustain a force 4 (Beaufort wind scale, 11-16 knots) and waves UP TO .3 meters (less that 1 ft).

Target for proposed Hobie Tandem Offshore:
Propose the new stronger Island would be designed to meet the EU CE certification for Class C boats built to navigate inshore such as lakes, rivers, bays and close to the shore and can sustain UP TO force 6 (strong breeze 22-27 knots) and waves UP TO 3-4 meters (~9-12 feet). The wind speed is doable….the wave height …. Is a stretch….

Why not just tweak the existing TI for offshore duty?
Many existing Island sailors (myself included) have made modifications and tweaks to push their boats close to the EU EC Class C environments. Examples of modifications added by sailors include safety lines, sails (jibs, genoas, spinnakers), navigation aids, outboard motor mounts, re-enforced hulls, navigation lights, radar reflectors, mast toppers, stays, booms, splash skirts, bow sprits, rudder control lines….just to name a few!

The premise (assumption) of this post is that a fresh design is needed to better position the proposed new Island Offshore closer to the EU CE certification for Class C boats. The existing Hobie Island kayaks have too many limitations and can only go so far based on current designs. Best to start with a solid strong design as the foundation vs. constant tweaking of a weaker design. Assumption – this is a new Island, new mold and hull, new hardware, …. You get the idea…. bit of a fresh start.

So…using our (Hobie and customers) collective imaginations …. What would a fresh redesigned Hobie Island Offshore look like. The following are a few ideas (many taken from prior posts on this forum with a few of my own ideas mixed in). Please add your own ideas to the mix.

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2aoCQMb]Image[/url]Hobie Tandem Offshore - Main Ideas by Jim Powers, on Flickr[/url]

Construction material – suitable for marine saltwater environments
• Rotmolded polyethylene – tuff stuff – with proper thickness!
• Carbon Fiber – mast and maybe other components (Akas)
• Stainless steel

Hull Size – slightly larger than the current TI hull size to support increased capacity and sail plan
• Length: 18’ 6” – No change
• Height: ~1-2 inches taller ~18-19”
• Width: ~1 inch wider ~31”
• Redesign stern for planing speed (similar in shape to pro Angler?)
• Deck area in front of each seat should be redesigned to flatten the area similar to the Pro Angler design for easier movement on the Island.

Capacity – 100 lbs. larger than current TI – to support additional cargo storage for offshore sailing.
• Crew 1-3
• 700 lbs. capacity

Sail Plan – Larger! Goal – improve power in light wind, balance and pointing ability up wind.
• Larger main sail (roller reefing) – 100 square feet – larger clear window for visibility
• Larger mast (~19’)
• Integrated mast topper supporting jib halyard and stays.
• Jib / genoa head sail with roller reefing – large clear window for visibility
• Redesign support system to raise the rear main sheet block-bullet attachment point (head clearance for the sailor - main sheet)
• Possible collapsible bowsprit for head sail
• Main sheet – add additional harken cleat on gunnel just forward of back seat right pocket for easier access and control.

Mirage Drives – no changes
• ST Turbo Fin
• 180 drives

Mast with integrated Radar Reflector
• Carbon composite two-piece mast
• Slightly larger mast to support the larger sail area. Propose ~19’
• Integrated multi beam radar reflector fitted internal to the top half of the mast
• Mast receiver – strengthen significantly to support larger sail plan and higher EU CE Class C winds
• Added internal bracing to support fore and aft forces on the mast from the head sail.

Bow – Stronger – better lay out for head sail (jib) support – larger watertight hatch (see hatch section)
• Main hatch redesign – larger opening – water tight
• Strengthen to support forces induced from head sail, forestay, halyard.
• Two independent hand grips on bow pad eye
• Larger & stronger bow pad eye to support more attachment and support for roller reefing head sail.

Stern – stronger design (see motor mount below), possible new shape to support more of a planing hull.
• Larger squared off stern for planing
• Strengthen to support forces induced from head sail (possible rear stay)
• Two independent hand grips on stern pad eye
• Larger rectangular hatch in stern.

Boat Bottom – Added protection for beaching / grounding in unknow waters
• Add scuff guard to protect the bottom of the hull from rocks and sharp objects that could puncture or crack the polyethylene hull.

XBar – redesigned for strength and new attachment angle for Akas. Purpose – raise the Aka a few inches above current position to reduce catching waves while under sail.
• Propose to redesign the XBar to receive the Akas at an up angle (45 degrees)
• Add additional (4) harken cleats to both front and rear Xbars for additional line controls (head sail, roller reefing

Akas - Stronger, larger, new design for better wave clearance while under sail.
• Larger (1 foot longer) to support larger sail plan – giving the new Island a ~12 foot beam
• Stronger Akas – especially in the 90 degree bend area – Recommend thicker tube wall for strength or possibly move to carbon fiber for the Aka construction.
• Higher off the water to avoid catching waves and to raise the trampolines for better water clearance in waves.
• Attachment point to the XBar enters at angle (propose 45 degree) to raise Akas off the water
• Attachment point to the Alma is also raised. Goal is to raise the Akas off the water by 4-6 inches.

Aka Brace
• Stronger
• Collapsible break away with reset (think of a snow board or snow ski boot binding with click in)

Almas – Larger to support capacity
• 10% larger Almas to support larger sail plan and boat capacity
• Attachment points to Akas strengthened (update current bungie design)

Retractable dagger board
• Propose slightly larger dagger board to support larger sail plan, reduce lateral slip and improve pointing.

Rudder – Larger rudder for added control
• Propose 1/3 larger rudder – needed for higher wind conditions… the current TI needs a bigger rudder.
• Improved gudgeon design to add extra strength for the rudder attachment point.

Rudder Control / Tiller handle: Forces on the rudder, especially in higher wind speeds and sea conditions can be high. The existing dual rudder control for steering needs to be strengthened for easier hand steering forces with the proposed larger rudder.
• Add additional leverage in the steering system to lower forces on tiller (handle)
• Strengthen tiller handle attachment design to lower risks of failure.

Mounts for Outboards – Built in support for clip on clip off outboard motor mount and safety line. Auxiliary power is critical for offshore sailing. Design the hull to receive a small outboard (2-5 hp engine, or equivalent electric motor).
• Strengthen hull in stern to support outboard / electric engine forces
• Provide simple quick attachment that can support outboard / electric motor

Navigation Lights – Lights are needed for navigation after dark. I currently use battery operated red and green lights on the almas using Railblaza ports and a white light on the stern Railblaza camera mount. The lights come in handy after a long day of sailing and pulling into harbor at night.
• Design optional lighting system for navigation running lights with access controls from either seat
• Mast Head light (battery) with remote control integrated on mast topper.

Electrical – Hobie has done a good job overall with battery mounts, access ports for electrical lines. Need to add a bit more capacity. Off shore runs require battery support for 1-2 days for electrical equipment and navigation lights.
• Add support for larger capacity battery mounts (electrical propulsion, GPS, fish finder, cell phone)
• Access for electrical ports on both starboard and port sides
• Option for solar panels to recharge batteries while under sail.

Seats – Keep Vantage CT seats

Hatches – Larger with improved water tight seals
• Larger water tight front hatch – stiffer design
• Existing Twist and Seal 8” hatches are too small – propose to replace all with the larger Twists and Seal hatch similar in size to the rectangular hatches on the Pro Angler line of kayaks

Safety Lines – still needed – provide extra protection from Aka brace collapse while under sail.
• Propose adding connection points for safety lines and making them standard issue on the proposed Tandem Offshore kayak.

Capsize recovery Lines – righting a capsized TI or AI can be a challenge, especially after a full turtle (upside down). Add in real life offshore conditions – high wind, waves, current, hypothermia, solo sailing…. been there….and know help is needed. Propose to include standard safety lines that can be multi used for capsize recovery line and a human tether
• Propose adding standard safety tether that can be quickly attached to either Alma with hand holds to help right a capsized Tandem Offshore kayak.

Trampolines – no new ideas here other than as previously noted to raise the Akas a few inches for better wave clearance.

Beach Wheels / Dollies / Rollers – Beaching the Tandem Offshore kayak will be more difficult given anticipated increase in weight due to larger rigged kayak weight, outboard motor, extra gear for offshore sailing. Transportation at the waters edge becomes problematic. I am currently mounting a roller above one of the Almas to move off the water’s edge.
• Combination of wheels/dollies/rollers will continue to be needed. The increased weight may require larger wheels or other innovations.
• Could use a battery powered sand tug ;-)

Transducer well – need to be increased to support the larger transducers used on many GPS/fish finders today. I am current using a handmade internal mount for thru hull transducer. Working fine but would like to move this into an appropriately sized transducer well and free up internal space for storage.
• Increase transducer well - same as has been done on recent Pro Angler kayaks.
Mr. Hobie…. We need a new Tandem Offshore sailing kayak…..

Ideas / comments welcome from all.

Let the fun continue.

PS – Love my modified TI and hope to be offshore sailing in the Atlantic Ocean this week….

WW

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

Last edited by powersjr2 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Enjoy your 300+lb, $10,000 plastic sailing kayak.

Personally, I’d be happier with a wider stern, fiberglass/ foam sandwich main hull.

PS. Love your videos. Never had the guts to sail in/ out of 18”+ surf.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We owned 3 TI's very close to what is described, we loved them, and the boats did everything we ever asked of them, and then some.

If a new super TI model is coming out on the 24th, (finger crossed), that would be great.

FE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pescatoral Pursuit:

I see you point. Hopefully the Hobie Tandem Offshore will come in under the 300+ lbs. weight.
As for the price…way above my pay grade. I will leave this to Mr. Hobie.
Agree fiberglass could be an option for the hull construction. I was thinking rotmolded polyethylene and maybe augmented with 1000 Denier PVC (as used in the Hobie Mirage i14T) for a scuff bottom protection.

When you compare the Hobie rotmolded polyethylene mirage tandem kayaks – you get some interesting measurements.
Kayak: --Outfitter -- Oasis -- Current TI -- Proposed Tandem Offshore
Hull width (inches) 34 33 30 31-32
Hull height (inches) 18 19 15.5 ~ 19
Hull weight rigged (lbs.) 121 127 240 Unknown – estimate 260-270
[Can't get the above table to format correctly...]

Fusioneng
The ideas you have brought forth and implemented over your 3 TIs continue to serve as inspiration to this thread. I have no idea if Hobie will introduce any changes to the TI 2019 product line. Fingers crossed! Realistically ….my hope is Hobie will move forward with a few of these ideas and do a product refresh with the popular TI in 2020.

I did get to spend a full day in the Atlantic Ocean with my TI yesterday. It was a blast. The sea’s were forecasted to be in the 2 foot range….actual waves were running 3 to 5 feet offshore. The wind was blowing out of the West at 12-16 mph with higher gusts. The boat GPS speeds were running 6-9 mph for most of the day.

I kept asking myself while under sail in the Atlantic …. What ideas would help the most for offshore sailing in a TI. The idea that kept coming up was the overall height of the Aka bars above the water. Given the low hull height of the current TI (15.5”),….. the Aka bars kept catching waves and generating a large amount of spray and acting like a sea anchor and slowing down the TI. The Almas were not submerged … just a choppy seas catching the full length of the Aka bars…..

At one point I was running into headwinds, waves and current and making very little progress forward (given the somewhat poor pointing capability the TI (and most multi hulls)). I reefed in the sail and fired up the 2.5 hp Suzuki outboard… a real game changer for TI offshore sailing.

Video coming from the Atlantic Ocean sail in a week or so…. In the mean time enjoy a few of these videos:

Surf launches – Atlantic Ocean: https://youtu.be/hEr6BgZpA1A
Fast Sail – New York City: https://youtu.be/NBLeRp0LF3A
Annapolis – US Naval Academy: https://youtu.be/FnZbbrZlS0Y
Port of Philadelphia: https://youtu.be/WAhnawtgt3U

Jim

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've proposed a similar Super TI- but looking at the economics for Hobie, I think the best move would be to mold a new TI hull and amas, but leave everything else alone. That means no expensive duplication of catalogs, parts inventories, or the complexity of handling two models v. one- literally the only difference would be the hull and amas. The super hull can include an integrated motor mount and a deep v forward and flat run aft more suitable for higher speeds, tight forward hatch, and greater ama freeboard.

Knock 75 pounds out of a bone-stock TI and you have a completely different beast. Hobie has extensive experience with composite molding and the cost of the tooling for something like this would be low.

a $10K non-plastic TI would find a lot of homes, esp. from experienced TI owners looking for more.

PS the tramps are virtually worthless except for cargo, which a haka can likely handle as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

blulelaser2

Agree with your point that a new mold for the TI hull and amas would address about half of (either fully or partially) the ideas proposed for the Hobie Tandem Offshore sailing kayak.

The updated info graphic below color codes in green the improvement ideas that could be addressed (fully or partially) with new molds for the TI hull and amas.

ImageHobie Tandem Offshore - Main Ideas by Jim Powers, on Flickr

The new mold only path would certainly improve the economics for the improvement. Use of existing components from other Hobie kayaks could also help (example: use of the rectangular hatch from the Pro Angler kayaks).

Agree that keeping the overall weight low is important.

As for moving away from rotmolded polyethylene to other materials (fiberglass, carbon fiber) would be interesting. Weight and costs issues would certainly need to be considered.

As for the tramps....agree they are of limited use (cargo, storage) .... as with any substantial weight (i.e., a person) the tramps sag down and can drag in the water. This is especially true for offshore conditions with any waves over 1 foot.

Raising the hull height and or height of the akas off the water would go a long way to improving the ride experience. The AI and TI are known for their "wet rides" especially in offshore conditions. This "height" issue is an important one.

In comparing the hull height of the Outfitter (18") and Oasis (19") compared with the current stock TI (15.5) I was surprised by how low the TI really is. A TI with a hull height close to the Oasis at 19" would be a big help with minimum weight gain.....

A good example of what a new flat deck layout with larger rectangular hatches and a more squared off stern suitable for an outboard mount can be see in the newly redesigned 2019 Hobie Outback https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-outback/. Taking some of the DNA from this 2019 Outback redesigned could also be carried forward to a redesign of the Hobie TI.... or new Hobie Tandem Offshore sailing kayak. Like the H-rails and pop up rudder redesign also on the 2019 Outback. See 2019 Hobie Outback below:

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2aoUEB9]Image[/url]2019 Hobie Outback by Jim Powers, on Flickr[/url]

Still would like to see the sail plan and akas updated also.

Jim

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At some point the boat would lose the very things that have made it so popular. More weight, capability for outboard motors, impossible to car-top, greater expense, etc., etc. Anything can be improved but major changes take the AI and TI into a market they were never intended to capture and one which might not be large enough to justify the expense of the changes.

In the meantime, the WindRider 17 exists. It handles an outboard quite well, and was designed from the ground up to utilize one if desired. It has three sails, including a spinnaker. It will haul more people at higher speed for greater distances. But there are things it won't do - it is not the shallow water boat the AI/TI are. It cannot be car topped. It can't easily be rolled on a dolly. It takes at least twice if not three times as long to rig. It does not have a Mirage Drive.

No single boat can be everything to everybody. At some point if you want to be able to do everything you must buy more than one boat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The reason we liked our TI’s is they could still be car topped, (barely, but out of neccessity for us). Because we had campers that used the hitch, we didn’t have any choice. Like I’ve said before we had over 1/4 million road miles car topping those suckers, with our campers in tow, (lol we wore our three campers, 3 Denali’s, and went thru 3 TI’s, ( yea we travel a lot).
When we were out and about we always tried to get campsites near water, (lakeside if possible). And we typically stay everywhere 1-2 weeks min. Getting the boat down from the roof was never a cake walk, and it took a good hour to re-assemble the boat and put in the trailer, (we had a breakdown trailer that we could throw in the back of the truck, or lash to the back of our camper). Once on the trailer, (sometimes on scupper carts if we didn’t bring the trailer). Once at the campground we again had access to the reciever on the vehicle, so if we didn’t store in the water we stored the fully rigged boat on the trailer at the campsite. Typical time from backing up to the launch and launching was always right around 15 minutes, (which isn’t bad for such a complex boat with 3 masts and twin outboards). However we seldom rigged the whole works when traveling inland. Kinda no point launching an extreme ocean going complex ‘C’ type boat in a ten ft wide river, (especially since the boat was 12-13 ft wide, lol). I think we just used the kayak only part almost 50% of the time, (best kayak we ever owned btw). Same on small lakes, no need for outboards or giant spinnaker on a small lake. So we always just left the extras back at the campsite. Often times we just walked the kayak itself thru the campground on a scupper cart to get to the water.
Yes we made a fiberglass sandwich planing hull mod for the boat, but only ever used that offshore, (never inland, and never for kayaking). It only takes a couple minutes to strap on or remove from the boat. Actually if I ever do another one, the planing hull mod will be like and inflatable RIB slipper that the kayak hull drops into, when not being used, Ill just roll it up and throw in the back of the truck.
It’s funny you mentioned the Windrider 17, I modeled a lot of my stuff around theirs, I have the same sail area, and designed my spray skirts similar to theirs, where they surround the whole passenger compartment, (to reduce splashing), also with my hull mod installed, load capacity is 800 lbs, (same as wr17), plus people can sit on all the spray skirts. However once building all that crap, I only ever installed the rear spray skirts twice, (overkill, not worth the effort).
As scuba divers we re-enforced our tramps so we could have two divers in full gear walk on them, (600 lbs), wasn’t hard to do. We have never launched a TI without tramps, ever, but we often have 4-6 people on board, we need the space.
We always store an inflatable 4 person boat, (650 lb capacity) in the front hatch, (we inflate with a scuba tank in about 1 minute), then tow all our gear in the dingy, and sometime people, we also have 2 inflatable kayaks for people to ride on, (hanging onto he dingy). We have been out several times with over 1400 lbs of people and gear, (typically no more than 4 adults on the TI offshore, (we prefer 3). With a bunch of adults/kids, (up to 6), we don’t go far offshore, and stay in safe water, (mostly just snorkeling just offshore), we never exceed our 800lbs on board weight max, and the boat is pretty sluggish when overloaded. When loaded down with the big ole outboards we still go plenty fast, but we go thru way more gas, (obviously), and you really need all the extra sails. I don’t recommend doin that much.
If Hobie never comes out with a super TI, I’m fine with that, I can always just mod out another one to suit my own needs. Everything I did is super simple, (maybe $300-$500 in materials, and a week or two of work to do it all again), if I have to. The only big expense was the outboards, (I still have those in my garage, just in case).
I see no reason to make bigger AMA, it’s much more effective, and way easier to just widen the boat to support the bigger sailsets.
The boat has to have a bowsprit, (key to everything).
Any mast topper design has to be a sound design, (again key to everything).
I would prefer the boat not go the route of the AI-2, where the changes supposedly effected the stand alone kayak performance, (so I’ve heard, I have no first hand experience with the AI, so that may be incorrect).
I just don’t want to lose the stand alone kayak performance, (best darn kayak we ever owned).
A taller mast with a 120sq ft main would be top on my list, ( if the original boat had that, I likely wouldn’t have needed most of the mods I did). Next time don’t have sail control lines across the rear passengers neck.

If they do a new hull, I would like it taller in the water, but I don’t want the kayak hull weighing more than 100 lbs, ( I don’t care how they do it.
The current aka brace system really sucks.
The current rudder system really sucks.
If they do it again, (re-designed hull), I hope they go with injection molded mirage drive holder inserts, incorporating into the hull itself is just plain stupid in my opinion.

I also really like the looks of the new outback.

Hobie invented these adventure boats, there is zero competition out there, they could do so much more in my opinion.

I would like them to do more with hybrid tri-power propulsion, (untapped market).

All just my opinions
FE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
If they do it again, (re-designed hull), I hope they go with injection molded mirage drive holder inserts, incorporating into the hull itself is just plain stupid in my opinion.
FE

It would be quite an irony if Pelican received a patent on this process that prevented Hobie from doing so, not that they have shown the least inclination.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng - agree keeping the weight under control is important.

It looks like the Outback 2019 hull redesign did add some weight (mainly due to a larger kayak size). See rough specs below:

Hobie Outback 2018 2019
- Length 12' 1" 12' 9"
- Width 33" 34"
- Weight 91.3 lbs. 103 lbs.
- Capacity 400 lbs. 450 lbs.

Agree that the Mirage drive holder inserts could provide some advantages.

Keeping the existing amas and just pushing them out a bit wider ~11-12 foot beam should should work. Would need to update the akas.

I also like the new Outback layout with the new vertical hatches, flat deck design and squared off stern.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Agree the new peddle drive with insert from Pelican will introduce some competition in this space! https://youtu.be/PowgK1E4nzo

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The video below illustrates sea conditions I typically sail with for offshore runs in the Atlantic Ocean. This was a boat ramp launch but included punch outs through shifting shoals about 1/2 mile offshore to reach the Atlantic Ocean. The outboard is primarily used as a safety factor for when the TI gets in conditions where the current and wind are against you.

The ideas expressed in this thread for a new or refreshed Hobie Tandem Offshore kayak or updated Hobie Tandem Island kayak would help in these sea and wind conditions.

https://youtu.be/n3zFd47SoaI

A longer video showing a wider range of offshore conditions from this 35 mile run in the Atlantic Ocean will be posted in a week or so.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"pushing out" the Amas further leads to complications. These are plastic boats and not exactly stiff or rigid as is. The wider you go on the ama width, the more flex you are going to induce fore and aft to the main hull. This is just another of those trade-offs you start to get into with any major redesign or "hardening" of the Island boats.

More than likely, in order not to undermine the sale of current Islands, which are more than adequate for their use by the majority of owners, you'd need a third Island type, which would be heavier, costlier and possibly would not attract enough buyers to justify it being offered to begin with.

Minor tweaks here and there, sure, but the ideal boat that many of us would like to have for extreme use is not likely to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

See excellent video explaining all the changes to the new 2019 Hobie Outback.

https://youtu.be/FC1RV9BW7_s

Gives you a good feel for what is possible for a future TI update....fingers crossed.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Taking a few ideas from the new 2019 Hobie Outback, cross fertilizing them with the Hobie Tandem Island and a bit of photo tweaking....I pulled together a conceptual image of what a hull only modification could do for the TI. Images are not fully size accurate but give you the basic ideas.

Enjoy...add a few of your own ideas....

ImageHobie Tandem Offshore by Jim Powers, on Flickr

ImageHobie Tandem Offshore by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great ideas there Jim. 8)
+1 for the larger, stronger bow, capable of supporting a jib/reacher ...and strong enough to stand on.
I’d also like to see factory haka/wing seats as long as the paddles in your pic.