Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking At Tandem Island
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My wife and I are thinking about selling our Getaway and buying a used Tandem Island, and I have a few questions.

When I'm sailing my Getaway I'm making small adjustments to the tiller to maintain my sail trim. I see the rudder on the Island is controlled by a small lever. It doesn't seem like that would give very fine control of direction and you would be constantly over-correcting. Any input on this would be appreciated.

I know that each model year brings upgrades that make the boat better. When looking for a used boat what model years would you suggest I look at so that I don't miss out on major upgrades? I.e. what years were different upgrades added?

Any advise on what to look for, questions to ask, what to keep in mind when looking for/evaluating a Tandem Island would be appreciated.

Is there anyplace in Michigan or Florida where I can rent a TI to try it out?

Last edited by wxup on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Firstly, there is no "dud" model Tandem Island! I can't give you a timeline of updates, but no doubt someone else has done the homework.

As for steering, I do not believe there is any shortcoming with the little steering tillers on the TI, provided the rudder is fully down. This is because the rudder is partly balanced because some of the blade is ahead of the rudder pintle. The tiller is then quite sensitive (certainly "normal" based on memory of steering my J24 in the past), with good response and a only light touch required.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Tandem Island steers easily and precisely. You won't have any trouble. Give yourself a few outings and you'll be used to it in no time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You will want to reverse the rudder lines so the tiller acts like a usual sailboat tiller. From the factory, it's backwards. Trying to undo a lifetime of habit ain't worth it.

If you are concerned about steering feel, you have the wrong idea about what the TI is. It's a very loooong sailboat in L/B ratio- it wants to keep going straight and you mostly nudge it back and forth. It is not a great sailing machine compared to a skiff or a Getaway in terms of efficiency- the sailing is fun, but strictly in a cruising sense because you would blow the thing into pieces if you tried to really load it up.

Also you are gonna pedal a lot of the time because the sail works best in concert with the fins- esp. to tack but also in light airs and downwind. If you are not into that kind of physical activity, you will need an outboard or another boat.

2015 was the last major update, you almost certainly want one of that vintage or newer. Post '15 has better seats and revised hull and ama shapes. |

Don't bother with the tramps- making up some kind of bench shaped Haka is the way to fly, with a tiller extension on the wee handle.

I absolutely love my TI but I only used it a few times this year. I'm based in CLE.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The kayaks have a lot less material to puncture or wear through than the plastic cats so be mindful of that especially at the toe and heel of the keel, and inside the scuppers, and mirage drive well.

If you get the pre-'15 model you may want to consider aftermarket camper type seats. I don't think the reverse hulls add much performance over the older style, but the more voluminous bow is a marked improvement on a wavy downwind. Tracking is good, but rudder authority degrades in winds over 15 mph.

A really fun boat. quite a bit more versatile than the getaway at about half the performance as a sailer.

Last edited by Pescatoral Pursuit on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Been sailing every day for the last three weeks off-the-beach in Destin, Fl. Only time I've used the pedals is to sail closer upwind when close to breaking surf......the pedals keep from tacking over and over to maintain your basic heading. Regarding tacking - even in 10+ knot winds the TI will jibe very smoothly (and quicker) than tacking into the wind. In either case, pedals were seldom necessary and I'm sailing in Gulf swells.

I've owned Hobie 14, 16, Wave, Playcat, etc. and they're all faster than the TI, but I've also been becalmed off shore and spent extra hours getting back to the beach. Not so, with the TI. You cannot compare a traditional beach cat to the TI, they're cousins, but nothing more. Ease of stepping the mast vs. a 26-28ft cat mast is a breeze......singlehanded.

Pedals are big plus when you're launching from a protected cove (on a lake) and you able to avoid tack after tack after tack to get to open water.

Don't mess with changing rudder steering lines.....the transition takes about ten minutes to learn.......not rocket science. While I don't use the tramps, my grandkids love them.

Furling the sail allows you sail (in control) in winds that would easily overpower single handed cats. I've been forced ashore in a Hobie 16 single handed in high winds and swells because tacking is too slow and jibing was lightening fast.

I prefer the pre-'15 seats, being easier to get on board in rolling waist deep surf. As for sailing downwind, cats have the advantage, but if you understand that - you can cope. By the way I'm 76.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep the Getaway and buy a TI.

For me tramps are a must, 2015 or newer, and I added a torqueedo but really don’t use it much (makes me feel better knowing I have a fast way home).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk