Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all. I already posted here about the problem i had with a small crack in the drivewell and a consequent leak under the waterline in a place that is very difficult to repair.
After some attempts I succeded in fixing the leak welding new platic on the crack. this repair was only in the outside side of the hull cause in the tandem the front of the drivewell cannot be reached from inside.
Of course after the repair the drive didnt enter properly in the levers, trying to force it should have caused a bigger crack in the same point. I also thought to "raise" the levers but was quite afraid to do it.
therefore I decided had to reduce the size of the "tongue" of the mirage drive in order to create the space for the new added plastic in the hull. . After this work, the tongue of the drive had became really very thin. looking delicate and probably should have been broken easily. have a look at the first photo

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XZnEvzTTU3jlBTTGyKWo7LWqL7bidSbh

its thin size and sharp shape not only worried me for its resistance but also for the risk to "dig" in the welded plastic.
I wanted to have a larger and wider tongue that could be more resistant and distribute the forces on a wider surface
less forces, less risk to damage the hull.
I had the idea to buy some mouldable plastic after having seen some videocplip and read comments of the users. in the example nobody used it for a hull and not even in salt water.
This plastic is very soft and moldable for about 30 minutes. the day after it should be hard and ready to use.
I decided to give it a try. the cost depends from how much u buy. in my case i could spend just 8$
i didnt know what to expect. maybe this glue shoudnt have reisted to the salt water and would have dissolved or broked into parts.
i tried and fortunately i think it was a success. the new "tongue" is wider,hard enough but also quite plastic and absorbing the pressures.
i used ony once and happy noticed that at the end of the day the tongue was non altered.
maybe some of you could consider the use of this plastic in order to fix something that is difficult to find and very expansive or if you wanto to make a modification that require to join elements together or to shape plastic things.
this is the photo of the new tongue after the modification

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LOA_-EEcbZ6PRGmJkKi9E0iVSk3u4Xpz

Last edited by Sardinian Islander on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi daft. I didn't use the reusable plastics because those plastic melt at a temperature that can be reached easily in a summer day if exposed to the sun. I used the sugru. It's not reusable but resist at higher temperatures