Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T.I. Centerboard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All...I'm ready to purchase a Hobie T.I. and have a question regarding the center board. When sitting in the rear seat and launching from the beach, are there any ideas how to lower the center board without crawling forward once in deep enough water ? Also, are there specs on how deep the center board sits in the down position. Much thanks.

Post subject: Re: T.I. Centerboard
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't respond about depth of center board since I am in northern New Mexico now and my boat is in south FL, but regarding reaching the centerboard control from the back seat, I use a 3' broom handle which I tie to the control. I do not craw forward.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject: Re: T.I. Centerboard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the depth of the centerboard on the TI is close to the depth of the mirage drives.. but have not carefully measured this. FYI, if you ground the CB, it will pop up on its own so no big deal.

For the centerboard control from the rear seat, I use a very simple mod to one end of the paddle which I carry with regardless. To pull the CB down, I just get the loop around the knob and pull it back. The length of the loop line has to be long enough to easily release from the knob. To push the CB up, just use the end of the paddle (same side as the loop) and push the CB forward. I really cant tell the mod is there when Im actually using the paddle.. but then mainly use the mirage drive to get around.

I have been using the paddle this way for a long time and think it works nice for how simple and light weight this is. Pictures are hosted on FB so will go away in a while.