Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a spinnaker kit on the way for my 2013 TI.
Any tips on how to make things better or improvements or just follow the directions?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

my suggestion is to consder that you could avoid some drills in the aka if you mount a small platform where you can attach the block and the cleat positioned near the back of the bag. if this "extension" is removable you will also be able to change the position of the bag in the future.
another useful modification is to install 2 blocks at the end od the aka instead of using the eyelet posts. this will save you other drilling.
for what concerns the tangling and the modifications purposed at the top of the mast I would suggest you to try it as it is without any modification and then decide to do something only if you experience problems. most of those modifications doesnt really solve the problem
Giorgio

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips.
I did ask Hobie for the taller mast topper and cleat that newer kits come with. Mine was new, but maybe old stock as it didn't have those items.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't get it why drilling holes in the akas (or anywhere else for that matter) is such a big deal.Reminds me of the old practice of fitting uncomfortable and sticky clear plastic covers over the seats in as new automobile, so the seats will look better for the next owner.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tony there are people (like me) who are not clever with tools or not having the proper equipment. You cannot imagine the damage that a Mr. Bean can do. Drilling in a bad position? Too large holes... and so on. Moreover the snuffer bag can be positioned in different places from the centre to the external part of the aka. When you mount if for the first time you dont know where is better If you decide to move the bad from the original position you cannot move the black if you have drilled it in the aka. I also didnt drill the hull with the suggested padeyes.