Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a loop and the length is "tuned" to be the very minimum it can be. There is some slack at times but not much of a hassle. I have cam cleats on the BH line on the gunwales so its also easy to tighten up any slack so the line doesnt drag on either side.

I had separate sides previously and in my opinion, it was a fair amount more hassle. Each time the sail tacks, you would have to unclip one side, then clip the other side. If the conditions got at all feisty, I would accidentally drop the clip in the water about 1/3 of the time either in the process of clipping on or unclipping. Once the clip is in the water, it will trail from where the line is connected (either the padeye at the back of the ama or where you have it connected at the aka}. I could generally retrieve the clip using the paddle to "fish it up". Certainly could have been poor technique on my part with separate sides but after doing this both ways, I think the loop ends up being significant less hassle. I have made many transitions from one tack to the other with the loop where the clew of the sail goes from one side to the other, almost never a problem. But.. I also had to change where my small GPS/ chartplotter was mounted as it would sometimes catch the line during transitions. Once moved, very little hassle now.

There have been some good threads on wind indicators here, try a search. Im some what thinking I need that myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Da Tinker wrote:
I used the barber hauler to the aft end of the ama this weekend, in light winds. Great improvement in down wind sail shape & performance. I rigged it as one continuous loop from the biner clip around the main sheet, down to the rear ama padeye, across to the other aft ama padeye & back to the clip. The line is long enough that I can operate it from either seat. Secure with a round turn & half hitch around the post above the mesh pocket. This releases easily with an upward tug on the working side of the line.

Draw back of the unused line drags in the water, but I found it easy enough to tuck it up under the bungee on the aft side of the aka.

Next item - figure out a good wind indicator, while keeping it simple & quick to rig.

Thanks for posting your setup.

Sounds like a simple/effective mod. I'll try it later this week. I need to get decent downwind speed; as our daughter's family will be using a spinnaker, which we tried out today on their TI (same color as ours). The simple wind indicator that Hobie puts on their mast tip rotator for their spinnaker worked very well for us today. That might be a design for you to check out.

The spinnaker really does make the kayak move downwind. It isn't the solution for our TI, as we prefer the simple/clean setup which matches our primary fishing use (and we have a motor, if need be).

Here's a pict from today sailing Siskiwit Bay in Cornucopia, WI.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before I bought the Hobie spinnaker, I had a Windex dinghy masthead wind indicator. I bought a pvc collar at the hardware store that fitted snugly over the top of the mast (including sail), and secured it with a self-tapper. I then added a vertical piece of clear fuel tubing to the inside (with wooden dowel for stiffness, and screwed this to the collar. The Windex mast simply slipped into the top of the tubing.

When I bought my Hobie spinnaker, I ditched the laughable "indicator" (how do you see a strip of plastic 0.5mm thick ON EDGE from 18 feet below?), and attached the Windex to the little mast using zip-ties. My Windex even has white and red reflective tape on the underside making it useful at night as well.