Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaking front hatch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New adventure island owner here. Bought a new adventure island and the front hatch was pouring in water. Dealer installed a larger seal to the in side edge. A small amount still gets in, about a gallon and half in a four hour run. Used to be buckets. Now the larger seal makes the hatch very hard to close, in essence making it unusable for me underway. Do I settle for this fix or complain. Are any new island owner having this problem, what should I settle For. Thanks for all advice and comments. Roland :cry:

Post subject: Re: Leaking front hatch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my 2015 AI, I found the inside seal was keeping the outside from sealing. I removed it to look at re-trimming the hull a little and found without it the outside sealed great so I never put it back on. Just a thought.

Others have found gluing some yoga mat type material to the inside of the hatch helped fix their inner seal problems. You should be able to find the posts here with the search.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update, I removed the cover seal altogether, leak stopped and cover just slips on snugly. Couldn't be any happier going after the big ones this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

makapili wrote:
Update, I removed the cover seal altogether, leak stopped and cover just slips on snugly. Couldn't be any happier going after the big ones this weekend.

Do you mean you removed the inner seal (attaches to the kayak), and left the outer seal (attaches to the hatch cover) on?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I saw this video a while back, and it sums up the various solutions nicely and quickly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klD3M99OVfw&t=212s HTH!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dont need two seals as each seal could partially seal, yet each prevent the other from fully closing. Having one seal with a good tolerance has a better chance of sealing allround

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I removed the seal on cover and not the one on the main hull. To have two seal to work together they have to have a perfect match which is impossible at this level of engineering, just my opinion. Hope this clear things up. Roland

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

makapili wrote:
I removed the seal on cover and not the one on the main hull. To have two seal to work together they have to have a perfect match which is impossible at this level of engineering, just my opinion. Hope this clear things up. Roland

Interesting, I could think removing the hull seal and keeping the hatch seal would be most ideal. Reason is because the difference in surface between the inside of the hatch and the hull is greater than the perimeter of the hatch and the outer perimeter of the hull. Meaning the mating would be most ideal between a hatch seal and the outside perimeter channel of the hatch area. Hope that makes sense? I'm trying it this way and so far spraying the entire area with my water hose nozzle has proved successful.