Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all. I just purchased a 2019 Tandem Island. I was going over the differences between it and my previous 2010 Adventure Island. I came across a hole/port in the kayak that wasn't on my previous one. It is behind the rear seat and goes down, with sides similar to a rod holder tube, but not thru the hull. It looks to be an excellent place for water to enter into the hull. Is there an accessory or cover that I should have gotten when I bought the TI. I discovered this after the boat was delivered. Here are two pics of what I'm talking about. My apologies if this is a dumb question but my other kayak didn't have it.

Last edited by atcbill on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

atcbill wrote:
Hi all. I just purchased a 2019 Tandem Island. I was going over the differences between it and my previous 2010 Adventure Island. I came across a hole/port in the kayak that wasn't on my previous one. It is behind the rear seat and goes down, with sides similar to a rod holder tube, but not thru the hull. It looks to be an excellent place for water to enter into the hull. Is there an accessory or cover that I should have gotten when I bought the TI. I discovered this after the boat was delivered. Here are two pics of what I'm talking about. My apologies if this is a dumb question but my other kayak didn't have it.

That's the access hole for the depth sounder transducer. There is a cover plate on the bottom of the kayak where the transducer can be installed. The black thing next to the hole is for extending the cable in a watertight manor from inside the hull. The hole does go all the way through but turns a corner so you can't see straight through.
Only problem it causes is that sand goes into the transducer cavity when slid on the beach and is hard to flush out completely so that the boat drops sand for ages after.

Note: to get your images to show in line in your blog replace the bit after the ? with raw=1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

paranoid wrote:
atcbill wrote:

That's the access hole for the depth sounder transducer. There is a cover plate on the bottom of the kayak where the transducer can be installed. The black thing next to the hole is for extending the cable in a watertight manor from inside the hull. The hole does go all the way through but turns a corner so you can't see straight through.
Only problem it causes is that sand goes into the transducer cavity when slid on the beach and is hard to flush out completely so that the boat drops sand for ages after.

Note: to get your images to show in line in your blog replace the bit after the ? with raw=1

paranoid thank you for the reply. I was able to reach the tube inside the hull from the back hatch. I see what you mean by making the turn. From above it looks like it stops in the hull which had me confused. You would think there would be a plug or cap on the top so stuff wouldn't fall down there. Also, I was wondering why only image links but not pictures didn't show in my initial post. Appreciate the help and thanks again!