Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Tandem Island Owner
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just plunked down the money for a new TMI last week. I'm looking around for a beach cart for use on sand, and Hobie wants over $500 for one in their catalog, more than I want to pay. Anyone know of another manufacturer of carts for a TI? :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do a search under author "Stringy."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: Thanks Keith.
Alan,
I know of no other manufacturer of carts that are suitable for use with the TI over sand straight out of the box.
The Hobie dolly cart is expensive but it does the job well.
I’ve tried a lot of carts with my TI and my go to cart these days is a modified C-Tug, but I rarely launch in sand. With the TI’s weight, balloon tyres are superior in sand even over the Sandtrax sand specific C-Tug wheels. You get a better result with two C-Tugs under a TI in sand but that brings the cost closer to the Hobie dolly. The C-Tugs do have storage advantages over the huge Hobie dolly but a cheap sand cart that actually works with the TI doesn’t exist.

https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 73&t=46391

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a TKFS Mullet Miller Cart that I had already owned to get my fully rigged Outback Across the sand. Works great on the Outback and does double duty for my TI, though only limited use with it on the TI so far.

It's not a cheap solution, but it is multi-function for me.

The problem is, when it comes to crossing sand, nothing works half as well as large Wheeleez. At some point you realize that and just spend the money on them.

http://thekayakfishingstore.com/product/tkfs-mullet-miller-cart/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We bought a Harbor Freight utility trailer on sale for $140 bucks. When I redesigned it to fit our TI, I designed it so we can use it as a trailer or as a launch cart. When using as a launch cart we slide the boat back on the PVC rails so it is balanced over the axles, then strap down with 1 strap. With 15” tires on it rolls really well thru soft sand, (not so hot with the smaller 8” wheels). Makes for a really inexpensive launch cart, and you get a free trailer to boot, (lol).
FE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've used the C-Tug SandTrakz cart and had ok success with it in soft sand in Florida.

In really soft sand it doesn't have enough flotation to support the entire rigged boat with mirage drives, mast, chairs etc., but in firmer sand it can easily move the TI. In soft sand I usually move the center hull by itself to keep things rolling. I also like it can break down and fit in the bow hatch.

https://www.c-tug.com/products/c-tug-sa ... ayak-cart/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all who replied to my question. Got a few ideas based on your replies. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Been 16 months since I got it. No real problems except I had a Mirage Drive failure, and if warranty doesn't cover it, its going to be expensive. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Been 16 months since I got it. No real problems except I had a Mirage Drive failure, and if warranty doesn't cover it, its going to be expensive. :(