Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

maxwellmark wrote:
I installed a Railblaza motor mount with reinforcements to hold the Torqeedo 1103 Traveler on a friends TI. We were going for a clean, easy to remove install. Even though at the time we purchased the motor mount, the listed motors on the Railblaza site, included Torqeedo, this is not true when it comes to the 1103. Railblaza mounts are not strong enough to hold the torque of the 1103 alone. So we used opposing turn buckles attached to the hull in order to prevent the mount from twisting under load. Every through bolt is into a large backing plate made of 3/8” thick Starboard. This is not a cheap install, there are several DIY builds online for that but we had the parts and were able to complete this install as hoped, it looks and works great! The Torqeedo 1103 really is a fantastic motor and has no trouble pushing the Hobie TI around.

I'm only a day or two away from releasing detailed plans for a very strong, very inexpensive, and easily replicable 1103 motor mount that is perfect for the TI and designed specifically for it. I just need to do some last-minute editing on a possible new feature I found and then I'll post the plans.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking forward to seeing your plans (hope I will find every material required here).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Semper Fi wrote:
Looking forward to seeing your plans (hope I will find every material required here).

You shouldn't have a problem. In this design, I made it a personal requirement to use only easily sourced and inexpensive materials.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As promised, here is a fully detailed, replicable, easy-to-build motor mount for the Torqeedo 1103 AC. It should also work for the Torqeedo 403 A, 403 AC, and even the Newport Vessels NK180.