Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have been loving my boat so far. Grabbed a 2019 demo for a steal and have taken her out a bunch this season already.
A couple things I still need to figure out and would love guidance if anyone else has dealt with the same.

1) I store the AI near the water in a kayak storage place. Unfortunately the space isn't large enough to store with AMAs on so I take them off and stack on top of the main hull with some foam between them. I would like to cover the boat, but I have no idea what sort of cover would fit this. I've seen some "fitted sheet" style covers on other boats that could maybe work, but I expect I'd need a huge one. Anyone know of anything like that?

2) I have the plug in beach cart, which I dig a lot overall. Main thing is getting the damn thing back on after I sail. Is there some magic trick I'm not aware of? Pulling the boat up and letting it drop out is easy enough, but getting it back in esp when it's fully rigged is impossible. Seems like a big ol design flaw unless I'm just dumb. I'm SURE people have struggled with this and would love to hear how they do it. I launch mostly from a boat ramp.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the plug in beach cart, if you store your AI high enough off the ground and have the space below the scuppers free, put the cart in before moving the boat and "pin" in place using the pull-out cover on the side with the holes. I did that on My AI so I could move it myself when needing to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As for covering the kayak, there is one often overlooked consideration. I keep my TI either in a car port or on my patio, both spots out of direct sunlight. I did use a cover as well until one time removing the cover I found about 20 rats, mice and assorted reptiles had managed to get under the cover and set up house. Yes, I do live in the tropics so your situation may differ. My experience has led me to go with no cover and to always ensure all hatches are closed when storing.
Cheers,
John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Re-fitting the beach cart (with balloon tyres) after sailing is tricky enough even with 2 people - I prefer to gently beach the front & lift at the back whilst it is still in a couple feet of water & a crew member fits the cart. This way I avoid having to drag the hulls up the beach/ramp. It helps to have both amas out whilst lifting, so the boat can't roll, and the weight of amas is still a little forward.
Mine is a TI, and I'm a big guy & can lift the boat without too much problem, but not sure how a smaller person (or me when I'm older) would manage this way.

Someone else might have a better idea, but here's a few other suggestions:
If you are able to drag the boat mostly out the water, fold one ama then lift using the other ama, your crew can get the cart in whilst hull is rolled sideways.
Or if you are short-handed with the lighter AI you might still manage solo this way?
Alternatively, a cart with solid wheels such as a C-Tug would be much easier to submerge, and doesn't rely on the scupper tubes to locate.
Or IIRC, Hobie do a cart with hull-formers & a long pole/handle that you can push under from the bows?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayak carts are made upside down - the scupper posts should go in through the top of the kayak and slide into receptacles on the cart below. I have made mine like this for some 20 years now and they are much easier to use. Lift the boat and swing around onto the cart, then shift it until the scupper holes in the boat line up with those in the cart. Then drop the inverted "U" shapped scupper posts down through the kayak's scupper holes and into the matching ones on the cart.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Collapse one side akas, tip over, insert cart, drop back down, and away you go. If you don’t like getting your yak a little scratchy, there’s several yt vids where you fish a cord through the scuppers from the bottom, then pull the cart into the scuppers from the top.