Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have had our TI for about a year now and love it. I am usually sitting up front so I can handle everything while my wife sits in back to help peddle as needed and our 2 boys, 8 and 4, hang out on the tramps. We borrowed the idea of strapping some cheap adjustable medical back rests to serve as back rests for them on the tramp as well. Sometimes the sit one on each side, but when it’s choppy they will shift to the windward side to avoid some of the spray.

We usually go out for shorter trips since the 4 year old can’t take it for more than a couple hours, but I would like to extend our range. I am interested in trying the spinnaker, but I wondered how easy that is with passengers on the tramps. Do they need to shift sides quickly during tacks and jibes to avoid getting in the way? If they do stay put, do they need to help the lines and sails across so they don’t get tangled? I have seen lots of videos, but not one with passengers and it is hard to visualize exactly how they would be sitting.

My other option is to shell out for the Hobie torqueedo, but I would prefer to go the spinnaker route if it is viable. Thanks for your help!

~Justin

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am 
Site Admin

You might be better off snuffing the spinnaker for jibes. That is a lot going on with lines and loads... crew moving around during a jibe.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)