Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Help!

I'm picking up a 2019 TI tomorrow and have been trying to figure out the best option for trampolines and splash guards.

I really like the idea of solid tramps and splash guards, which are available aftermarket.
I'm on the south coast of NSW Australia and think it would be a little bit warmer not getting splashed.

Does anyone know the downsides of solid tramps?
Do they catch wind or cause a hazard for capsize recovery etc?

TIA :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The solid tramps were more of a problem with the early AI's which were much lighter and a bit smaller.

The current boats have much more weight and mass so not quite as much of a problem unless you are already sailing on the edge.

Haka(s) can be a much better alternatives in many, but not all situations

The solid Sprayskirts are more of an problem as being so close to the bow that unless air and water can quickly clear through the material they will make sailing tight to the wind and especially tacking (across the wind) much more difficult in stronger winds. Also, if they hold water at all, they will hold the bow lower and slow it's return from under each wave over the bow.

My very first Sprayskirt my wife made me was out of waterproof microfiber, beautiful, and less than 10 minutes into it's first sail I was frantically cutting slits into it to drain the puddle of water keeping the bow so low to the water. Even then, it slowed the bow's return from under each wave by many seconds!

The shade cloth we finally found to work so well deflects moving water (waves) almost completely but drains standing water very fast and the wind barely catches it especially mounted back 8-12 inches from the front edge of the bow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed. If you plan to sail in very windy conditions, don't get solid tramps, capsize hazard. Even the perforated ones catch a lot of wind.

Definitely don't get solid spray skirts unless they have a very effective draining system.

Tramps vs hakas is usage dependant. Hakas are better overall but if you need to fold the amas, such as when trailering, it's more work than tramps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pro10is wrote:
don't get solid tramps
-
Thank's a lot for the feedback, I've ordered some aftermarket tramps and splash guards from the US.
After more time researching than you would believe, I finally have a bit of an understanding :lol:

I'll use the tramps for cruising with the kids and make some hakas for decent ocean fishing trips.
Picked up the TI today and am counting the hours till we can take it out.

KayakingBob wrote:
and less than 10 minutes into it's first sail I was frantically cutting slits into it to drain the puddle of water keeping the bow so low to the water.
- I truly appreciate not having to learn this the hard way too, thanks!

See you in the breeze

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt