Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Rigging
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m interested in purchasing a TI but I have a question about rigging the kayak for sailing. I’ll have to launch it as a regular kayak into a creek and maneuver it out into the open water of a bay at the mouth of the creek next to a dock. The dock is about a foot above the water. Can the TI be rigged while in the water next to the dock? I’ve searched the forum but haven’t seen a discussion about this method. I’ve seen talk of rigging it on the dock and then getting it into the water. I don’t have that option. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: TI Rigging
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there a height restriction where you launch?
Or width, or both?
If height only, can you launch with the amas attached? If so, could you not also rig the mast on land and then lower the mast onto the akas until you can raise it again at the dock?
If it's a width issue and you can't attach the akas/amas at launch, I'd imagine you could add it all at a dock whilst afloat, but it would be fiddly & you could definitely use a second pair of hands to help. Be better if you could beach somewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks RedKite. It’s a width issue. I’ll have to rig everything while afloat next to the dock. I’ll have a second person with me all the time so if it’s doable we’ll have to take the “fiddly” route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok - try not to drop an aka in the water! Bit of practice & you'll find a method that works for you.
If you're buying an older TI, it's well worth upgrading the aka/crossbar fastenings (if they haven't been done already) - the later revised type have a much more positive snap-in, so you're less likely to miss-fit them when bobbing around on the water. Lots of useful advice on how to do it on here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It’s absolutely possible to rig a TI up from the water. Have done it many times. It’s much more awkward this way than doing it on land, but don’t let this stop you.