Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
powersjr2:

Having done most of the mods you suggest on your pic, I can attest that most work very well.

2: We kept the stock AMA design, (the current design is very good), However we extended and strengthened, (fiberglass rods buried in 4# urethane foam filled aka bars) the AKA bars were extended around 14" ea side, so the outside boat width dims with the AMA's out ended up near 13ft. Didn't effect the fold in function at all. Because the AKA bars are angled upward naturally, this raised the AMA's completely out of the water during most operations, and because of the additional flotation, (because of the much further out pivot point, I'm guessing around 200 lbs additional AMA flotation), it became nearly impossible to bury the AMA's underwater even with our massive 600 sq ft sailsets. The AMA's actually plane on the water, with nearly no drag. Definitely the most bang for the buck mod to the boat.
FE

FusionEng, a question please

Is the 4# urethane foam the same as “great stuff” expanding foam you get at Lowe’s or big box?
Are the fiberglass rods the “yard sign” things?
Any advice on how to not screw up strengthening or if I need to.
The AI is heavier than I expected.

I managed to snag a June, 2017, AI from Madeira beach just a bit above Ft. Desoto, virtually unused, the nice lady seemed to want a bigger boat. Tampa Bay looks really really big, the kite surfers were out at the north rest area of the sunshine skyway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes I used 2-3 of those fiberglass rods in each aka bar, along with a couple short ones that fell into the curved part of the aka, (2 from the top and 2 from the bottom of the curve, they almost met in the middle of the curve). I cracked the ones from the bottom in the middle so they followed the curve a little better. The aka bars don’t break very often in the curved section, so the short ones are probably overkill.

I used 2 part 4# urethane foam, (Stuff I had left over from my hull mod). But I see no reason the great stuff wouldn’t work just as well. The AKA bars tend to fold where the aka brace attaches, ( we call it elbowing). My strengthening Helps prevent that elbowing, plus The mod weighs next to nothing.
Of course the aka bars will still elbow eventually if over stressed, but it takes a lot more force with the mod, (yea I tested them).
Keep in mind my boat was widened quite a bit so I kind of needed to do that AKA Strengthening mod anyway.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng,

Thanks for the reply. Agree with your comments. Two small outboards would be best for redundancy and safety. I have found my 2.5 hp Suzuki to be very reliable...that said...I only fire it up when I am in a pinch and need to get to safety quickly...

Yesterday was a good example....took a 30+ mile sail around Manhattan (New York) after launching at Liberty State Park I sailed passed the Statue of Liberty and up the East River to just south of Hell's Gate. The return trip under the Brooklyn Bridge to Battery Battery Park required the 2.5 hp Suzuki to make headway against the current and moderate head wind. My journey continued sailing North up the the Hudson River to about a half mile above The George Washington bridge. A fun sail....until my weather alert came across my VHS radio warning of a large super cell thunderstorm bearing down on my location..... with hail and 60+ mph winds.... I immediately began my return sailing leg South back to Liberty State Park.... the current was against me and the winds were increasing but usable with a close hulled setting. I decide to use the Suzuki with the sail to maximize speed. The storm hit just as I rounded the Statue of Liberty and the safety of the boat ramp. This story would have a very different ending if I did not have the Suzuki with the TI on this sail! See photo below as I past the Statue of Liberty with the storm breaking over Midtown Manhattan.

Hope you can join the zoom call this weekend....would love to pick your brain on the bow spirit and "slipper"idea....and the AKA strengthening...I have folded over several AKAs in the surf....

ImageHobie TI In New York Harbor - Outrunning the Storm. by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have replied to all who have submitted their request to [email protected] for the Hobie AI/TI Offshore Sailing - Zoom Event with the links and password to join the video call.

If you have submitted your request yet - please do so now.

See the date and time information below.

ImageHobie Islands Offshore – Zoom Event by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All,

A few more Island sailors singed up today for the Zoom event on Saturday.

I have replied to all with the zoom invite. Please test out the links and confirm you have the password prior to Saturday's zoom event.

If you are interested in this fun free event - just shoot me an email at [email protected] and I will forward the zoom invitation.

Looking forward to "seeing" my fellow Island sailors on the Saturday zoom call.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great job organising this Jim, really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

powersjr2 wrote:
All,
Please test out the links and confirm you have the password prior to Saturday's zoom event........
Saturday zoom call.

Tested link and pw
It says “....hobie island something.....” waiting on organizer
So success with link and pw,

will assemble adventure island for _first_ time since got it Monday to admire it, see if anything missing.
Got from lady who lives on Tampa bay at Madeira beach. I understood why she only took it out a few times. Whitecaps everywhere, understand need of strengthening, and caution.
Looking forward to meeting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All,

Just about all set for the Hobie AI/TI Offshore Sailing - Zoom Event on Saturday 29 August 2020 at 6 PM (US ESDT New York).

Interesting that we have a few individuals who are new to Islands (AI/TI) or are looking to buy who have signed up for the Zoom event.

Below is the agenda for our meeting. Still time to sign up - see prior post on this tread for signup information.

Hobie Islands Offshore – Zoom Event

Introduction / Purpose of the Hobie Island Offshore – Zoom Event

Individual Introductions

Definition of Offshore / Coastal Sailing for Hobie Islands

Share most important (to you) modifications to the Hobie Islands that support Offshore / Coastal sailing.
- Live polls
- Individuals share screens / speak to leanings from Hobie Island offshore / coastal sailing
- Video workarounds of your Islands
Share safety tips for Offshore / Coastal sailing with Hobie Islands

Future design ideas for Hobie Islands

Q & A

Wrap / Next Steps.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All,

The Hobie AI/TI Offshore Sailing - Zoom Event will be starting in just over an hour (6 PM US ESDT (New York)).

Added a few additional individuals this afternoon.

See everyone soon.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

powersjr2 wrote:
All,

The Hobie AI/TI Offshore Sailing - Zoom Event will be starting in just over an hour (6 PM US ESDT (New York)).

Added a few additional individuals this afternoon.

See everyone soon.

Will be a tiny bit late. Dinner starting apologies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ImageHobie Island Offshore Zoom Event by Jim Powers, on Flickr

All, Good time discussing Hobie Island sailing in coastal / offshore conditions.

A small but dedicated group of individuals spent 2 hours discussing the Hobie Islands and how to make them sail safer and better in offshore / coastal conditions.

Individuals from Europe, the Americas and Australia met for the first time via Zoom to share our love for sailing. The group included a range of experiences from seasoned offshore / coastal sailors to individuals new to Hobie Islands.

We briefly discussed the definition of "Offshore" Hobie Island sailing and agreed as a group that "Coastal Sailing" was a better overall description of the type of sailing conditions commonly encountered. See below.

ImageHobie Island Offshore Definitions by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Individuals shared specific modifications that they have made to their Hobie Island to support "Coastal Sailing"

Several video and photos were shared covering modifications and safety tips,

Based on feedback I received I am changing planned work and will explore some new elements for my TI.

We discussed possible future enhancements to the Hobie Islands that would improve the "Coastal" Sailing experience and add overall value to the Hobie Island.

The group agreed that the zoom meeting format added value for exchanging ideas and everyone agree that future meetings would be a good. I offered to schedule a future meeting in the Dec 2020 / Jan 2021 time frame.

The Hobie Island Offshore Zoom Event was recorded and will be posted to YouTube for all to view in the near future.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to say a special thank you to Jim for organising this ! It was great to virtually meet and share knowledge and tips, I learnt a lot and am super keen for the next one !!

Where I live, we often have very different schedules with when we boat and where, given being very geographically spread out. Doing this via zoom was a great way to all meet in the one place at the one time virtually - from across the globe!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed Dammit. It was great meeting you all in person, so to speak.
Jim, thanks and further to what we were discussing you might be able to see from these clips just why I think haka are up there with the outboard as far as transforming the Island experience.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Agreed Dammit. It was great meeting you all in person, so to speak.
Jim, thanks and further to what we were discussing you might be able to see from these clips just why I think haka are up there with the outboard as far as transforming the Island experience.

It was nice meeting folks in person. I am 71 and a beginner. Just got a 2017 AI w/Vantage seat, 180 drive and trampolines.
Tried a sunfish, which got deliberately flipped by a powerboat So got practice righting it
3 days school at Annapolis on 20ft rainbows keel, all 20-25 years ago.
Recently retired, moved from 40 degrees north to 26.6 degrees N. I live right off the Caloosahatchie in Florida on a salt water brackish canal with a dock, It’s 91F, 33C so hot & humid.lots of mangroves, manatees, alligators, river dolphins

I’m extremely intrigued by stringy’s blue canopy/?bimini?
How does it attach to the Aka’s. The center points.
Hints on where to get it
Watched the video 3 times at 1/4 speed.
Looking at getting a rear mount and a torqueedo after getting comfortable with AI.

Thanks for the zoom meeting, apologies for late join and extraneous noise.
I neglected, my fault, to inform spouse of meeting and dinner literally was served at 6pm, so clean up was done first

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Many thanks to Jim for organising! And good to have virtually met you all! I couldn't share much knowledge, but I definitely learnt a lot. And I am even more impatient now to finally get a TI!

Looking forward to the next zoom gathering,

Chess

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next