Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Having extensively read the main threads on this topic already (Sleeping on Board), Have you done any "expedition" trips on the AI?, unfortunately a lot of the photos and links are now broken because these are up to 10 years old! I thought it is a good chance to start a new thread on the topic. Maybe people have new learnings and developed things, or new technology/products are out.

Camping on-board the Hobie Island

I will edit this post if the thread gets big, to later update a simple summary of key topics/themes, and index/link the post. The other posts were 30-80 pages long so it is hard to find the info required!

My Dream
I want to turn my 2018 TI into a floating hotel! I don't need to bring the kitchen sink but I do want it to be comfortable, warm, dry and safe.

I live in Sydney, Australia and we have some beautiful waterways nearby but unfortunately most being national park, prohibit camping on land, however it is allowed to anchor and remain floating/on your boat, and sleep on the water. Most are in sheltered creeks/coves, but I do want the versatility to camp in a more exposed area too. This is what I plan to do!

My requirements:
1. enough room for two adults (bonus if I can squeeze a kid in every now and then); in the same sleeping quarters - need the Mrs to keep warm! Not keen on the separate self-contained swag/bivvy/cots.
2. comfortable and enough space for a tall bloke (I'm 6')
3. ability to get to shore when nature calls (Stand Up Paddleboard or similar? as a haka/tender)
4. rain, wind & bug proof!
5. this is for a leisurely relaxing thing, not a expedition race :) so not needing some super small, light, fast to setup, more aiming for comfort!

So far I have came across two ideal setup methods:

1.Stringy (such a well known legend on these forums and a wealth of knowledge):
Two Helinox Cot stretchers set in aluminium grooves across the center hull, flat sturdy platform, able to get out on both sides to cook etc. or a single PVC platform frame tensioned fabric.

+ gold standard, sturdy
+ flexible with what tent you put on after the platform is sorted.
- expensive (cot stretchers are $500ea)
- custom building aluminium supports to then seat the cot stretchers into

Photos for inspiration (credit to Stringy again!):

2. Hajime from Japan
Pop-up dome tent straight on the tramp, fills in the lumpy part of the front seat then paddleboard haka.
+ Cheap(er) - $200 decathlon tent
- may feel like you are sleeping in a recliner,
- may get splashes given the tent is straight low on the tramp, or rocking given off-centre balance.

Photos (credit to Hajime (Youtube)):

Some challenges to overcome:
1. Toilet! Portable loo fold-up plastic bag style, or a big paddleboard doubling as a haka/platform to go to shore...?
2. Wind - needing high wind rating tent. Teton Outfitter XXL tent looks quite small 1 person? Decathlon Quechua 2 person is not rated well for wind.
3. Shade - a large bimini to use as a shelter, deploying this first to protect from the elements and then doing the rest of the setup.
4. Cooking - Integrated butane canister like Jetboil
5. Bugs!
6. Whether mast needs to be taken down.
7. worried about investing too much $, but it easily pays back given no accommodation costs!

Separately, there are many other styles of camping done from the Hobie TI.

Some people have rigged up hammocks, e.g. ChrisJ

Some have very large setups e.g. YakAttaque:

For inspiration, here is the first place I want to camp, it is near Sydney Australia, in the Hawkesbury River.

and another less sheltered area:

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts, comments, suggestions so I can get this happening ! Feel free to post about other methods too as this thread should assist everyone wanting to unlock the great outdoors by camping overnight with their TI (and AI!).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don’t have much to add being very new at these boats, but light at night can be nice.

I got a few bio-lite led lights. The site-lights are 2.5 watts measured, 300 lumens, weigh ~3 ounces (~90gms), have a twistsble, foldable globe that unfolds to ~20x30cm, can run on a USB so can run on those power banks with 8 Li batteries, so 1, 16-20,000mah power bank can run a light about 24-30 hours and be daisy chained
They are not cheap, but nice bright, white diffuse light, enough for reading playing cards ‘n such.
Thank you folks for all your ideas., you are very kind.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/sitelight-xl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into these they look great! Especially the string light version. Might be a good way to keep visibility of the boat at night if anchored.

I would love to hear about cooking systems on the TI. I was trying to decide between smaller ones like Jetboil, self contained units, in a perfect world I would've got the Jetboil Genesis Base Camp, twin 10,000 BTU burners in a very neat package.

Unfortunately it is not available in Australia.

I went with the Primus PrimeTech 1.3L system, which at least sits within the burner so if I am using it anchored on board hopefully it does not slide off and cause issues! It weighs 800g excl the gas I think.

I think I may need another second system like a MSR Pocket Rocket 2, so I have redundancy if one doesn't work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you have the Primus system you do not need the pocket rocket...your thinking is correct that things will slide off any system that does not attach pot to burner...for camping most food will be dehydrated or freeze dried so in truth all you really need is the capability to boil water (unless you are going to catch fish/crabs/lobster along the way)...in all our camping we found that not only does dehydrated/freeze dried pack better but no need to keep it cool and there is enough variety that you don't get sick of eating the same thing every night...it also cooks right in its own pack so no need for anything other than a spork to eat it with...you can start the trip with fresh food knowing you will eat it on day one though...

As for the tent on the yak...the rainfly is going to be the biggest windcatcher...if you have a cover overhead and are not using the fly most tents will easily stand up to significant wind force...the way I look at tents that say "x person tent" is that a one person is one person no gear...a two person is a one person + gear...you could save a lot of headache if you can get the tent off the yak and camp on land though...I know its not the same as sleeping with the gentle rocking of the boat but it sure would be more comfortable...I think with preplanning you could make the land thing work with using the yak to sail to each destination...camping with two (even three) on that yak will be TIGHT...

You mentioned keeping the Mrs. warm and dry...
Ground pad - https://klymit.com/collections/sleeping ... 8110767194
Pillow - https://klymit.com/collections/pillows/ ... 8643574874
Sleeping bag - https://hammockgear.com/premium-burrow-stock/

All of that will pack super small in a dry bag...you would think a ground pad wouldnt be needed but thats where most people make the biggest mistake...the insulated ground pad is critical for body heat not be lost to the ground...

I can go on and on about camping...let me know if you have any specific questions...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m also looking at sleeping on board my TI.
At some places I sail camping is not permitted on shore. I understand that Stringy camps on board in the Hawksbury river(?) because shore camping is inconvenient or not allowed.

Sleeping in the middle of the boat along the main hull means you have to have solid decks when to get out of the tent/stretcher etc.

A YouTube with the title:-
How I sleep on my 16 foot boat | ICW Episode 4 | Hobie Mirage Adventure Island
has a stretcher tent across the boat. This gives access to the back half of the main hull when getting out of the tent.

I aim to fix ply on top of the tramps to take my hiking tent cross ways, covering the front cockpit. I will have another piece of ply to smooth over the front cockpit.

The mast can remain up & may be used to hold a fly above the tent.
All the above assumes a fairly quiet night. I guess if it blows up, I will have to sneak ashore.

As for onboard toilets - I suspect a TI is too small for a “Head”. Perhaps a small shovel & shore trips for the more serious endeavours while dilution should take care of urine.

You may wish to look at the OZtrail Ultimate All Weather Queen Stretcher - a double stretcher tent placed sideways to give access to the rear cockpit.
Snowys have it currently for $320 free post.
https://www.snowys.com.au/ultimate-all- ... cher-queen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The very first picture with the Bimini, what do the v shaped struts attach to at the bottom, picture is too grainy to enlarge.
It _looks_ like a cross member Al pipe laid on aka’s secured somehow and then Bimini attached somehow to those.
I am seriously a rank beginner at this
Is there some kind of attachment available?
Thank you for any answer.
I get drenched in sweat here at 26.6 degrees N rapidly so shade is becoming necessary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Robert,
The bimini attaches to a length of bimini tube that hooks over the front aka and clips over the rear aka using tube clips. The hook was made using standard bimini tube connectors. I don’t have pics that I can easily find and I no longer have my TI.
To make it adjustable and able to slide, the bimini mount is attached to a short length of bimini tube that clamps to the aka bimini tube using a standard bimini double clamp.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Hi Robert,
The bimini attaches to a length of bimini tube that hooks over the front aka and clips over the rear aka using tube clips. The hook was made using standard bimini tube connectors. I don’t have pics that I can easily find and I no longer have my TI.
To make it adjustable and able to slide, the bimini mount is attached to a short length of bimini tube that clamps to the aka bimini tube using a standard bimini double clamp.

AH!
This is exactly the picture I needed.
Much thanks!
From Sunny Florida, 79F, ( 26C,) humid.
Tomorrow, 31.1C

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

An air bed works great for riding over all the bumps and dips in the hull, plus it provides some elevation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

placeholder to keep topic active

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day

New to this forum.

I came upon this thread while researching solutions to camping on the Hobie Tandem Island. We own the first one to come to Queensland; I have recently refurbished it back on the water after 5 years sitting in my garage. I am keen to pursue some off-grid adventures on this fantastic boat.

My approach is to replace the trampolines with 2 X lightweight rigid platforms, each about 2m X 0.75m covered with wet/dry carpet with a strip of cork floor tiles at the rearmost end which would sit across the akas. At camp, the two boards, come together directly behind the mast, held level at the join, by a support on the cross-strut, which raises them clear above the main sheet and furling sheet cleats. The middle of each aka where the outer edge of each board sits. is at a level above the cross-strut owing to the upward angle of the akas relative to the hull. This arrangement allows the two boards to make a perfectly flat, solid platform over the cockpit. The board is similarly supported over the rear cross-strut. A third cross-strut further towards the rear of the hull is formed by supports on the gunnels bridged by two aluminium spars, which when joined together, also serve as the long handle to the island dolly which is carried over the aka.

Thus is formed a 2m X 1.5m flat platform, large enough for a pop-up or other free-standing 2 person tent to be erected on a solid base. An alternative to the tent that I am toying with is a 3m X 3m fly held aloft by wrapping the front end around the mast thus supported at the front, and by the rearmost support with an insert for a pole. The fly would be secured by the eyes at each end of the akas. Any kind of bed can be used under the fly. A further development woud be a noseeum mesh inner tent underneath the fly secured to the perimeter of the base, essentially a necessity on the Queensland coast in summer. The strip of cork tiles serves as a heat-proof area for meal preparaton.

The difficulty has been sourcing/making a rigid but light board without spending a fortune. Thus far the cheapest option has been two hollow honeycomb doors 2040mm X 770mm purchased from my local DIY. They are heavier than I would like but they are manageable, and sufficiently rigid and strong although usage will tell. They will have multiple coats of paint before attachment of a few saddles as anchor points.

I will post some photographs of the build as I go.

Structured insulated panels (SIPs) may be a stronger lighter option but I have not been able to source anything here on the Sunshine Coast at anything short of a few hundred dollars. I made a small prototype of a torsion box using a semi-rigid plastic sheet (root barrier) and the result is promising but it would require each open space to be filled with polystyrene blocks in order to prevent side-ways collapse of the semi-rigid plastic. Both the plastic and the polystyrene advance the cost of the project considerably, not to speak of the huge increase in labour. However this type of construction offers real promise for a very lightweight rigid platform and if I find that I am using the platform above a lot, then I will certainly work at sourcing a lighter alternative.

I would be grateful for any advice, ideas etc in relation to this project.

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day

New to this forum.

I came upon this thread while researching solutions to camping on the Hobie Tandem Island. We own the first one to come to Queensland; I have recently refurbished it back on the water after 5 years sitting in my garage. I am keen to pursue some off-grid adventures on this fantastic boat.

My approach is to replace the trampolines with 2 X lightweight rigid platforms, each about 2m X 0.75m covered with wet/dry carpet with a strip of cork floor tiles at the rearmost end which would sit across the akas. At camp, the two boards, come together directly behind the mast, held level at the join, by a support on the cross-strut, which raises them clear above the main sheet and furling sheet cleats. The middle of each aka where the outer edge of each board sits. is at a level above the cross-strut owing to the upward angle of the akas relative to the hull. This arrangement allows the two boards to make a perfectly flat, solid platform over the cockpit. The board is similarly supported over the rear cross-strut. A third cross-strut further towards the rear of the hull is formed by supports on the gunwhales bridged by two aluminium spars, which when joined together, also serve as the long handle to the island dolly which is carried over the aka.

Thus is formed a 2m X 1.5m flat platform, large enough for a pop-up or other free-standing 2 person tent to be erected on a solid base. An alternative to the tent that I am toying with is a 3m X 3m fly held aloft by wrapping the front end around the mast thus supported at the front, and by the rearmost support with an insert for a pole. The fly would be secured by the eyes at each end of the akas. Any kind of bed can be used under the fly. A further development woud be a noseeum mesh inner tent underneath the fly secured to the perimeter of the base, essentially a necessity on the Queensland coast in summer. The strip of cork tiles serves as a heat-proof area for meal preparaton.

The difficulty has been sourcing/making a rigid but light board without spending a fortune. Thus far the cheapest option has been two hollow honeycomb doors 2040mm X 770mm purchased from my local DIY. They are heavier than I would like but they are manageable, and sufficiently rigid and strong although usage will tell. They will have multiple coats of paint before attachment of a few saddles as anchor points.

I will post some photographs of the build as I go.

Structured insulated panels (SIPs) may be a stronger lighter option but I have not been able to source anything here on the Sunshine Coast at anything short of a few hundred dollars. I made a small prototype of a torsion box using a semi-rigid plastic sheet (root barrier) and the result is promising but it would require each open space to be filled with polystyrene blocks in order to prevent side-ways collapse of the semi-rigid plastic. Both the plastic and the polystyrene advance the cost of the project considerably, not to speak of the huge increase in labour. However this type of construction offers real promise for a very lightweight rigid platform and if I find that I am using the platform above a lot, then I will certainly work at sourcing a lighter alternative.

I would be grateful for any advice, ideas etc in relation to this project.

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks tiggere for the camping suggestions. The primus is performing well, I tried it for the first time in a shallow creek, just straight on the main hull to start trying to get used to it. You could probably get by better with a Jetboil if simply boiling water.

Betabrainz: we should collaborate ! Given you are in AU and keen on same, will be good to share learnings. I am the admin of the NSW Hobie Island Club if you want to look me up, I can't seem to send you a PM through the forum.

Ply to smooth the front cockpit - a fellow Aussie 'Hooked on Adventure' on youtube did this YOUTUBE LINK -

This was using 2 x 9mm marine ply pieces, I think it's a really good, cost effective option to make a flat surface on the front deck. I would be transporting 2x people, so need to use the front seat and pedals, until at the destination. I am exploring the best way to create a flat surface to lay the tent down, potentially this would be an option but it would need to be portable so I could fix it in place when the 2nd person no longer needs to sit there... There has been some hard trampolines, similar to hakas I guess, which might assist in creating a better sturdy flat platform... (Youtube link)

Quote:
"The mast can remain up & may be used to hold a fly above the tent."
I have not yet tested this but I noticed a lot of windage with my sail completely furled, mast still up, just sitting in a shallow creek with no current and a bit of gusty wind, so wondering whether the mast really needs to come down for TI camping or if it is OK to stay up. If using a bimini for shelter like Stringy had, the mast would need to come down (added complications!). Still not sure whether it is best to have a setup with the mast down (can then extend the platform further to the front, leaving room in the back seat to maneuver the boat whilst tent stuff is set up, if needed...and less windage, or keep the mast up to use as an added part of the structure and to save the hassle.

Here is a photo (Credit to stringy again) of his old hobie island with a rain fly instead of a bimini:

I'm not yet sure on a good toilet option other than a small shovel and way to shore...maybe a bucket with bag for a middle of the night emergency :? :lol:

Quote:
OZtrail Ultimate All Weather Queen Stretcher

Had a look into this but it's pretty heavy at 26kg. If I went the Helinox cot stretcher route it would be 3+3kg, +~3kg for the tent so 9kg. Obviously cost is a big difference though.

Quote:
Surfoos: An air bed works great for riding over all the bumps and dips in the hull, plus it provides some elevation.

True, If I go this route I might need to modify the front rudder control to be lowered (currently has a space in it to make it higher), using a cheap single air bed I still found it really lumpy and hard to get a semi-flat surface yet... Any further photos/tips appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

skindoc4 wrote:
My approach is to replace the trampolines with 2 X lightweight rigid platforms

Alex, I like your brainstorming/vision, thanks for joining and sharing! Seems we now have the Australian eastern states covered with you from QLD, Betabrainz from Vic and me from NSW, to form a 3-state alliance in setting up the Island to being a floating hotel :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: Welcome! Will be glad to share any knowledge and learnings I have!

Your idea is pretty similar to my camp cot stretcher idea (courtesy of stringy), I have been looking at these Helinox stretchers 75cm x 210cm, so similar dimensions. The hollow door is a cheap prototype option but I think it might go soggy and fall apart very quickly, probably weigh about 12kg each? Maybe have a look at 9mm marine ply?

This is my "visualisation" of how the cot stretchers would be positioned, any help, feedback appreciated! The aim is to keep the ability to have the mast in place with it setup.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes the hollow doors are quite heavy. I have been looking at hollow core surfboard construction. They use a lightweight timber, Paulownia, which is grown on plantation in Australia which is ideally suited to marine applications. It's not the easiest to get hold of although there is a local supplier. The real problem would be having to mill it into very thin palings for the internal lattice and skin. Another option is using polystyrene sheet as core covered with a fibreglass skin. I'm going to experiment with some samples that I already have.

I remain keen on the concept of creating a solid, flat rectangular surface on which to camp as this most closely resembles camping on flat ground without the risk of objects falling into the water or having to clamber over the boat while preparing a meal or providing an adequate sleeping area. It would allow me to use exactly the same equipment that we use when cycle touring (our other travel passion). The platform readily supports 2 people as 1 without any changes.