Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PVC mast topper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This year, I've been experimenting with a jib on my Hobie AI. One key to this mod is a good mast topper. Here's what I've come up with, and it seems to work well.

Pictures can be found here, with a description of each below:
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... msg1055576

The 1st picture shows the mast extension, which is just a 16" length of 1.25" PVC pipe, spray painted yellow.

The 2nd picture is a short segment of aluminum I-beam (leftover pocket door rail). Instead, you could use the bracket that comes with a stainless U-bolt, as sold at Home Depot. It slides into the slot at the top of the mast to hold the extension in place.

The 3rd picture shows the mast extension attached to the top of the mast. There are a couple of wraps of tape near the top of the mast to keep it from wobbling. This extension stays on at all times. The mast still fits in the sail bag with the 8" of additional height.

The 4th picture is the mast topper. It's 3/4" PVC pipe, with a 1/2" pipe inserted thru the 3/4" cross fitting, with a bolt to hold it in place. The 3/4" fittings fit perfectly inside 1.25" PVC pipe.

The 5th picture shows the mast topper topping the mast. You can see that the backstay clears the sail. With Hobie's mast topper, the backstay interferes with the sail, which is a major hassle.

The 6th picture shows both sails deployed. It's kind of dark, so you can't see the mast topper very well, but it's up there.

I use 2 separate ropes, one to hoist the jib, and a separate one for the backstay. You could just use one long rope that runs thru the 1/2" PVC pipe. But, I find that a single rope tends to put a lot of pressure towards the back when you try to pull the sail tight. Using 2 ropes makes it easier to keep the pressure downward, as opposed to front-to-back.

Post subject: Re: PVC mast topper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bad link pictures crashed it seems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

winfield100 wrote:
Bad link pictures crashed it seems

Works for me. Is there still a problem?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 am