Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motor mount
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am thinking about mounting a 2.5 hp Suzuki on my TI. I am looking for a simple mount. Came across this rod holder slip in mount from island hoppers https://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/h ... otors.html

Does anyone have experience with this product. I do coastal sailing and I need something sturdy.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Motor mount
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have that motor mount and use it for a Trolling motor. This is not a good choice nor does the company recommend it for gas powered motor. The torque of anything stronger than a
trolling motor could potentially damage the inside of the rod mounts and I could even see it breaking the motor mount. Works great for a trolling motor.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HobieTI wrote:
I am thinking about mounting a 2.5 hp Suzuki on my TI. I am looking for a simple mount. Came across this rod holder slip in mount from island hoppers https://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/h ... otors.html

Does anyone have experience with this product. I do coastal sailing and I need something sturdy.

Thanks!

I would never trust that for a 2.5hp gas motor, an electric motor maybe.

Here is everything you need to know to build your own well-proven motor mount for the TI and your Suzuki:

Outboard Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide & 403 Comparison

Read through the whole thread to get complete info on how to build various motor mount versions. Ask any questions you may have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I would never trust that for a 2.5hp gas motor, an electric motor maybe.

Here is everything you need to know to build your own well-proven motor mount for the TI and your Suzuki:

Outboard Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide & 403 Comparison

Read through the whole thread to get complete info on how to build various motor mount versions. Ask any questions you may have.

The one thing that I added to that design (which I think is great) was the addition of spherical equalizing washers between the mount on the gunnel and the cross bar. The top of the gunnel is not horizontal and the concern I had when I built mine was that when you crank down the bolts on the cross bar you're adding a rotational stress to the boat itself. I used 5/8" stainless spherical washers but they're not cheap - a bit over $35 for the pair.

I'd post a photo but don't have a way to do that short of setting up another account somewhere to host the photo itself. I do plan to do a complete build summary in the future. Spoiler alert: my total cost of materials was just over $200 but it's strong as h*ll.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didn't notice any significant horizontal deviation of the gunnel on my boat, the horizontal bar set flat on the mounts. But the addition of spherical equalizing washers is a good idea and a welcome addition to updating the sophistication of the design.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd post a photo but don't have a way to do that short of setting up another account somewhere to host the photo itself. I do plan to do a complete build summary in the future. Spoiler alert: my total cost of materials was just over $200 but it's strong as h*ll.

I would love to see that build summary. Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, I am deciding between the Torqeedo 403C or a 2.5 hp Suzuki. I read the excellent thread on this. My question is, can the torqeedo get me through large bay swells and high headwinds (25mph) when needed? Or do I need the Suzuki for that? I don’t care about speed, my question is about thrust in coastal (non surf) conditions. Thanks for your insight!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can't speak to the Torqeedo 403C but I can say that the Suzuki 2.5 HP outboard works great with my Hobie TI. This motor has proven to be reliable and has saved my rear end from storms, currents, waves and long distances in offshore / coastal sailing with my TI. The Suzuki in on my TI on every sail unless I am in small local lakes (no currents or big waves).

The mount has proven to be light weight and strong with zero issues for 3+ years of sailing in rough salt water / offshore / coastal conditions. All Aluminum frame with stainless steel bolts. Zero corrosion.

See 4K sailing videos here showing the use of the 2.5 HP Suzuki outboard at several points (over 30 other videos showing mix of sailing / outboard use).
- Outboard mount - walkaround - https://youtu.be/SUyqkqqZbkU
- New York City Harbor - East River / Hudson (currents / storm) - https://youtu.be/vF_61ub4Krk
- New York City Harbor (same sail as above but showing racing in from storm): https://youtu.be/4ldU-y0_q1c
- Winter sail in Delaware Bay (Frostbite conditions) - https://youtu.be/xFsKrk1FGDw

ImageHobie Tandem Island Outboard Motor Mount by Jim Powers, on Flickr

ImageHobie Tandem Island Outboard Motor Mount by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HobieTI wrote:
So, I am deciding between the Torqeedo 403C or a 2.5 hp Suzuki. I read the excellent thread on this. My question is, can the torqeedo get me through large bay swells and high headwinds (25mph) when needed? Or do I need the Suzuki for that? I don’t care about speed, my question is about thrust in coastal (non surf) conditions. Thanks for your insight!

I own and use both, I think I may be the only one who does. The 403 is far easier and more enjoyable to use and much quieter, but the Suzuki is much more powerful. If you need to power through rough conditions, the Suzuki will work better and faster. That said, Torqeedo does now offer a 3HP version.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Regarding the Suzuki 2.5, does anyone find the motor interfering with the mainsheet?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, occasionally the main sheet does hang up on the motor mount or the Suzuki outboard.

Not a big issue or show stopper. I just reach back and free the line.

In my videos you will see me reach back a few times.

Again - not a big issue.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi. Now that it seems that the maximum crew capacity, as well as motor capacity of the Tandem Island are going to be upgraded, I'm planning to (finally!) purchase a 2021 TI. I do have to solve the issue of transportation, though. In any case, I am seriously considering the option of adding a Torqeedo Travel 1103 C. I had secretly wished for a hull update that would allow for the easier installation of the upgraded Torqeedo Ultralight, but it's not going to happen. :roll:

I quite like the motor mounts that some of you have already created using a gear trac. I would like to receive your kind feedback on a few things:

- Would you still go for the the GT90 GearTrac 12'' that some of you have used? Would you see any benefit in using the GT175 Generation II GearTrac 12''?
- Would you recommend using the full back plate for it? Does it fit, and is the mounting area accessible? Does it come with the necessary hardware for the installation?
- With the type of mount that powersjr2 and pro10is have installed, what shaft length would the torqeedo motor need to have? The short version has a shaft of 62.5 cm (24.6 inches), while the long one has a shaft of 75 cm (29.5 inches).

Thanks in advance for your kind support!