Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love my boat its fun its, exercise I can sail and peddle or just peddle. I bought it with what was described to me as a great trailer worth 2000 a Yakama but the wheels are not suppose to get wet. I have tried kayak launches and even with someone they are much harder than a boat ramp. Boat ramps are bad too because after sitting for a while you have lift the yak on the wheels. the on to the trailer. boat ramps are slippery. Please tell me what I am missing. I want to get a regular boat trailer. Also on my list of improvements is an easier safer way to stand up on the boat. Otherwise I am having a ball. Just trying to figure out some of the bumps in the road. 59 Jacksonville Fl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To standup I usually just hold onto the mast.

If it's the bearings of the trailer is the concern, look into Bearing Buddies as a solution. If it's just the frame materials, it should take a few years to become a problem. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KayakingBob wrote:
To standup I usually just hold onto the mast.

If it's the bearings of the trailer is the concern, look into Bearing Buddies as a solution. If it's just the frame materials, it should take a few years to become a problem. Enjoy!

Are you saying all I need to do to standup in my AI is grab mast and lever myself up?
I have been going crazy trying to get up and out and am familiarizing myself with AI
I have to go off cantilevered concrete dock _down_ into AI so tide tables are imperative since I’m on a canal
(except during hurricane Eta last weekend) when I stepped up into), lashing it down to not wander off)

I have been searching for H-bar or H-rail, something anything to help me stand, due to Ti knees and hips and muscle loss.

If sail mast works as you suggest, gently of course, I will be happy as the oysters I’m aqua gardening.

Next, a 4 bow Bimini attached to aka’s like stringy did before I get skin cancers from sun in SW Florida for his VersaTIlity2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For standing, the best bet (In my opinion) would be the H-Bar. I use one on my paddle board and love it- helps tremendously! I plan on mounting it on my TI for combo purpose- help with standing as well as rear sheet riser.

Second option is to look into is a simple rope tied to the front cleat. Use it to help stand up. It wont help with weak sea legs, but makes a huge difference getting up.

3rd option (thinking while i type) may be to rig some type of simple 1-1/4 PVC hand rail that fits into a rod holder and stands up ~3ft. (just make sure the pressure is on the top of the kayak and not downwards into the rod holder tube. (use some type of flange) Perhaps it doubles as a camera holder. easy to take in and out and place in the rear well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Yakima Rack and Roll trailer will not withstand submersion of the wheel hubs and they cannot be made watertight. It's not considered a water launch trailer. Get a Trailex if you want to launch from the trailer. Hobie offers a Trailex speficially for the TI or you can buy an SUT350S direct from Trailex but will have to add a couple more pieces to allow mounting of the Hobie cradles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been sailing TIs since 2011. I have a trailer, but I almost never launch from the ramp. Instead, I almost always pull off of the trailer to the Trax 2 cart with cradle, then launch, either from the beach or--if necessary--from the ramp. I think my trailer has been in the water only two times since I bought it.

I generally sail alone, so I have learned how to launch and recover without assistance. It was hard at first, but over time, I've come up with procedures that make it pretty easy. It can be done. :-)