Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I recently purchased a used 2020 Tandem Island with a slightly customized 5'x8' utility trailer with 13" wheels. The previous owner modified the trailer with two Hobie cradles mounted on two 2x6's as seen in the photos, as well as tongue extension, spare tire, etc. Everything works well except that the Tandem Island rides quite high so that it is more difficult to launch/retrieve. My goal is to cut some of the angle iron on the trailer (see last photo) so I can lower the 2x6's (after cutting the ends off to fit) with the Hobie Cradles down to the bed of the trailer, which would be about 10"-12" lower then where the kayak sits now. I know this would make it difficult if not impossible to spread out the ama arms while on the trailer (because of the height of the wheel wells). Any thoughts/ideas or problems that you see with modifying the trailer in this way? Any structural dangers to the trailer if I cut out sections of angle iron as seen in photos? Of course I would be relocating the spare tire, and lowering the front bow roller to a matching height. I would probably also add some type of wide "bow roller" to the very rear of the trailer bed to keep the kayak from scraping during launch/retrieval.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This reply may be a bit late, but thought I'd share. It appears that your boat is narrower than the trailer, so cutting down the trailer to the lower frame shouldn't be an issue in terms of fitting the boat between the wheels. I'm in the middle of modifying a trailer for an AI using the cradles for support as recommended by Hobie. Here's a few pics of my progress/plans. Lights will be added to each side "guide-on", fenders, a bow stop, and spare tire. My cradles had big nobby things underneath so I had to raise them up on blocks otherwise they wouldn't mount flat to the 1x6.

Image[