Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not on this sail.

Focus was heading South to Chesapeake Bay.

Future plans include a visit to the Eagles!

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another option to consider instead of a linear route from gunkhole to gunkhole is to do a series of loops from the parking lot or campsite and back. That would negate the need to bring along camping gear on the boat, and we can go where we want based on the weather and wind. I propose a half-dozen loops from various campgrounds located around the Chesapeake, so we return each day to our vehicle, set up camp, go eat or explore on land, then head out to the next spot along or across the bay. We could stay in one place for more than a day to do loops in opposite directions, or go somewhere totally different the next day and do a loop there. I have a really nice camping mattress and pop up tent, a pickup truck with plenty of firewood, and a cooler full of booze! I did a trip like this last year from Kiptopeke SP.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mscritzer1 wrote:
Another option to consider instead of a linear route from gunkhole to gunkhole is to do a series of loops from the parking lot or campsite and back. That would negate the need to bring along camping gear on the boat, and we can go where we want based on the weather and wind. I propose a half-dozen loops from various campgrounds located around the Chesapeake, so we return each day to our vehicle, set up camp, go eat or explore on land, then head out to the next spot along or across the bay. We could stay in one place for more than a day to do loops in opposite directions, or go somewhere totally different the next day and do a loop there. I have a really nice camping mattress and pop up tent, a pickup truck with plenty of firewood, and a cooler full of booze! I did a trip like this last year from Kiptopeke SP.

This is also another thing to consider, what camp grounds do you have in mind? Are these campgrounds places you can store your boat on the water or in a “hop on and go” kind of way? Also do you have any destinations in mind that would make a loop back to home base. If so so you can list them..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Acole1420 wrote:
mscritzer1 wrote:

This is also another thing to consider, what camp grounds do you have in mind? Are these campgrounds places you can store your boat on the water or in a “hop on and go” kind of way? Also do you have any destinations in mind that would make a loop back to home base. If so so you can list them..

Just a few in the southern bay I know of, but we would want to explore up closer to Annapolis to justify going over the Chesapeake Bay bridge and heading down the other side. Google them to find out more info.

1) Kiptopeke State Park Campground - park your car/trailer at the ramp during the day, at the tent campsite during the night - loop down to Fisherman's Island or up to Mockhorn Wildlife Refuge on the other side of the peninsula. Pull up to the beach and eat the Jackspot Sunset Beach CC KOA

2) Cherrystone Beach Campground - park car/trailer at the Blueberry campsite on the beach - loop down to Cape Charles to explore, then up past the Savage Dunes area and back

3) Tall Pines Harbor Campground - park car/trailer at campground - loop over to Tangier and/or Smith Island and back

4) Roaring Point Campground - park car/trailer at campground - loop down Deal Island, then to Crisfield harbor, have lunch in town, and back

5) Point Lookout State Park - park car/trailer at campground - loop around the Potomac down to Wicomico, or up river towards Colonial Beach

6) Cross Rip Campground - park car/trailer at campground - loop down to Point Comfort Lighthouse and back

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, I will look check those out tonight and yeah that location works for me. I saw your location says NC so I was concerned you were going to say the bottom end. I’m in york pa and and don’t plan on driving too far down the bay to launch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mscritzer1 wrote:
Acole1420 wrote:
mscritzer1 wrote:

Just a few in the southern bay I know of, but we would want to explore up closer to Annapolis to justify going over the Chesapeake Bay bridge and heading down the other side. Google them to find out more info.

1) Kiptopeke State Park Campground - park your car/trailer at the ramp during the day, at the tent campsite during the night - loop down to Fisherman's Island or up to Mockhorn Wildlife Refuge on the other side of the peninsula. Pull up to the beach and eat the Jackspot Sunset Beach CC KOA

2) Cherrystone Beach Campground - park car/trailer at the Blueberry campsite on the beach - loop down to Cape Charles to explore, then up past the Savage Dunes area and back

3) Tall Pines Harbor Campground - park car/trailer at campground - loop over to Tangier and/or Smith Island and back

4) Roaring Point Campground - park car/trailer at campground - loop down Deal Island, then to Crisfield harbor, have lunch in town, and back

5) Point Lookout State Park - park car/trailer at campground - loop around the Potomac down to Wicomico, or up river towards Colonial Beach

6) Cross Rip Campground - park car/trailer at campground - loop down to Point Comfort Lighthouse and back

This sounds great but with this seasons planning it seems far fetched to get people together.. for the fact that it is a pain to reserve spots.. we should definitely do something like this next year though. We will talk dates on that. In the mean time i wanted to confirm who would show up for the introductory day trip to Annapolis and set on the dates and times we talked about earlier in the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Count me in for the introductory sail out of Sandy Point State Park in late April or early May.

See details in prior post: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 48#p322669

As for dates....recommend late April or early May. Reason - pick dates prior to super busy season that picks up in mid May through early September. Possible dates for the "day sail and lunch/dinner":
- April 24
- May 1

Like the short loop ideas sailing out of one or two campgrounds..... maybe in late October or early November (low season with more camp spots available.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This sounds great! There is a chance I may be relocating out of the region, but if I don't I'm certainly in for the introductory sail at the very least!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

atv223 wrote:
This sounds great! There is a chance I may be relocating out of the region, but if I don't I'm certainly in for the introductory sail at the very least!

If you’re still interested just download what’s app and we can get you setup in the convo.. really would be nice to have an end head count so if your in let me know you downloaded the app and we will get to a better place to chat about the introductory sail on 4/24
Thanks
Allen 7173573820

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Acole1420 wrote:
atv223 wrote:

If you’re still interested just download what’s app and we can get you setup in the convo.. really would be nice to have an end head count so if your in let me know you downloaded the app and we will get to a better place to chat about the introductory sail on 4/24
Thanks
Allen 7173573820

Would it be too much to ask to use this forum to discuss the trip. Why make people download an app just to get details.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Larryj, this isn’t mandatory. I just felt this would be easier to communicate and easier to check for messages and stuff.. if you find you need an answer sooner then the time frame expected on the forum just call or message me. No worries..
So far it seems like Larry, Jim, Frank and myself will be attending so far.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Acole1420 wrote:
atv223 wrote:

Thanks
Allen 7173573820

I have the app and sent you a message. So I should be good to go.

Are people soloing this trip or are they bringing a first mate? Any expectation on what gear will be required based on water/air temperatures there at that time of year?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A simple rule of thumb is that the air and water temperature should add up to 120 degrees without cold water protection. I’m taking the gamble and wearing swimsuit with a rain jacket just In case . I think the water temp will reach 50 at the least if we get some warm days these coming weeks. So I’m crossing my fingers for a 75 to 80 degree air temp on our sailing day

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Acole1420 wrote:
Larryj, this isn’t mandatory. I just felt this would be easier to communicate and easier to check for messages and stuff.. if you find you need an answer sooner then the time frame expected on the forum just call or message me. No worries..
So far it seems like Larry, Jim, Frank and myself will be attending so far.

Although I am interested, I can't commit to anything as I'm still waiting for my boat to be delivered to the dealer. It's been in their warehouse in Raleigh for 2 weeks now. Hoping for an early April delivery. Would like to get it squared away before committing to any trips.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking forward to this introductory sail and planning session for future Chesapeake sailing challenges.

I did see and join the Whats App group.

Per previous post, recommend we start to fix the primary date and backup dates.

Should be fun.

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold