Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

Just joined the forum so hi to all.

58 years young. Experienced sea kayaker.

Just ordered a brand new Adventure Island and hope to have it delivered in late May early April :-) Apparently it is in a container in New York at the moment. Have sailed a Ti back in 2011 ish and was on the forum a while back then.

I live in the village of Marazion in Cornwall in the UK since 2016:

https://staceymannestates.co.uk/buying- ... -marazion/

https://www.stmichaelsmount.co.uk

Yesterday I got the go ahead to store the Hobie in the sailing club at Marazion, right on the edge of the beach. Very happy. 2 min walk to the sailing club and another 2 mins to the beach!

Anyway have read a lot of this forum so fully versed on pin breakage, safety improvements and lots more. Thanks to everybody who has posted all this stuff.

Anybody in Cornwall on the forum?

Julian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congratulations! Mine is on order too. I'm in the States, I had an earlier version of the AI as well. I was under the impression that the aka connection was no longer an issue, but the rubber pin will fail as designed.

Happy sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Julian, we're in Gloucestershire but drag our TI to the Helford most summers and sail the river & coast between Porthallow & Maenporth, so only around the corner from you.
It's looking hopeful we will get there again this August, and I can't wait as we didn't get the TI out the garage at all last year due to covid.
Bought ours new in 2017, upgraded the aka clips a couple of years later after having a de-coupling and not had any issues since - but if yours is new as Larry says it should have the later stronger clips.
We use tramps, so I don't worry about keep-out lines - when the aka detached the ama couldn't go very far.
I'm very envious of where you live - I hope I can persuade the missus in to moving closer the sea when my boy has finished his schooling here, but that's a few years away yet! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Redkite,

Sounds like a meet up would be cool :-) Really looking forward to The Helford area and also the Truro river/estuary area :-)

Might change my order to a Ti over next few days (have a week to make final decision). I will solo probably 80% of the time but my wife likes to come out sometimes and I am sure I can find takers sometimes. Decisions... decisions... I have read this forum until my eyes bleed on the subject of Ai vs Ti and still unsure!

Ordered the Torqeedo motor and a spare battery this morning :-)

I am lucky to live where I live I know :-)

Julian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds good - when we know we can def go, I'll drop you a pm & we'll swap numbers nearer the time!
We've got a place reserved right on a beach, so if you are trailering over to the river that week (assuming you're not sailing around the Lizard?) you can visit us for beer/coffee!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! I’m near Falmouth and keep my TI at the watersports area. Tend to go for coastal trips when not loaded up with grandchildren and their SUP parents over to St Mawes for ice creams. Love the TI as it can carry so much overnight kit. Hoping to coast hop to the north coast this year. Previously got as far as Sennen till the wind changed, stopped in portlethen overnight.
Good to chat or meet up, contact me!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like you have some adventures! Some serious coastline. My problem might be my own fear factor when I'm on my own. I'll PM you when I get it.
Julian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Tandem Island was supposed to load at Hobie USA the last few days for delivery to Cornwall UK.

Today got the call that no Ti's or Ai's were loaded because Hobie are struggling for parts to finish them off :-(

Have all the clothing, the GPS, the radio, the Torqeedo motor, the dry bags etc. etc.

Just no Hobie..

No idea whether it will even be this year now... :-(

Even got a space in the sailing club pen 100m from my house and right on the beach...

Ah well...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a bummer!
Where/who did you order it from?
I got mine from Hobie Centre at Poole (now Shore Thing), and IIRC it was shipped from mainland Europe...
(But I can't remember whether it was manufactured in Europe, or shipped there from USA).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Julian, sent you an email via this forum. Unsure how this mail system works.

I have health issues which may prevent me from sailing and my 2015 TI is in Falmouth and ready to go somewhere.

Call me
07802 461548

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well the good news is I am now the proud owner of a 2015 (new type) Dune Tandem Island with tramps, anchor and spinnaker (and roll-on-roll-off trailer!). Thanks to member UKTI, a jolly nice chap who has had to sell due to some health issues.

It is now by the beach in a sailing club pen and about to add a few goodies to it (when it stops raining!)

Pics coming soon :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Redskyatnight wrote:
Well the good news is I am now the proud owner of a 2015 (new type) Dune Tandem Island ......

Redskyatnight, I could have written your posts myself -last year! Exact same scenario. Harder to buy a new TI than get a used one (and that's pretty darn tough). Gave up on the new route when Hobie/UK supplier in Plymouth stalled and stalled on delivery until summer all gone. Eventually able to find a used boat, 2015 too. Enjoying the boat and would still get a new boat if Hobie can get their supply chain sorted and give the buyer some certainty. (Is Hobie listening I wonder?). Everyone needs to be cut some slack after the year we've all had but hoping they can get their act together soon. Glad you are up and running/reaching/beating/peddling/paddling now. Just need some proper UK summer and it will all be fine again.