Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yesterday went to lower the rudder after launching on my 2015 TI and the downhaul line snapped right where it enters the rudder assembly (with the rudder in the down position). Had to abort the outing as without the downhaul, the rudder stays about half way up making it very hard to steer the boat. Bummer that the line broke.. but I have put a lot of miles on this boat.

So.. I need to replace that downhaul line. The replacement part of the task seems fairly straightforward but finding the replacement line is why Im posting here.

I believe the line is 2 mm spectra but am not sure. One answer is talk to a hobie dealer.. which I will if I get desperate but would rather just find a source for a spool of either the exact line used or something better.

Anyone know what line is used? Is there some replacement that will be less likely to break? Where to buy?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:31 am 
Hobie Team Member

The control lines used on the AI/TI rudder system are 1000lb rated braided spectra. Hobie also offers a control line replacement kit which includes all the lines, and replacement tubes. Part number for the replacement kit is 80019012 and can be ordered through any Hobie dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you very much for the reply.

FYI, here is the hobie kit https://westcoastsailing.net/hobie-kaya ... kit-ai-ti/

I understand this about Spectra and Dyneema

The easy answer is they're pretty much the same. Spectra is a brand name fiber made by Honeywell. Dyneema is produced by DSM. They are chemically the same material: Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene.

The rudder downhaul line has to fit inside the white tube and I believe that is the constraint on the diameter. I measured the inside diameter of the tube (these are the tubes inside the rear of the hull) and it is 3.8 mm

I am probably going to just purchase the line itself as the kit comes with a lot of stuff I just dont need.

Here is 3 mm Dyneema with a strength of 2300 - 2500 pounds ($.60 a foot). https://westcoastsailing.net/3mm-samson ... eema-line/

Here is 2.7 mm Dyneema with a strength of 1400 to 1600 pounds ($.38 per foot) https://westcoastsailing.net/2-7mm-sams ... eema-line/

Im just going to order 25 foot of each type and use the largest one that runs smoothly in the Hobie White tube.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Let us know which one works best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FYI, this 2 mm dyneema is what I ended up using. https://westcoastsailing.net/2mm-roblin ... eema-line/

You can see in the picture below that the new line (darker color) is close to the same diameter as the original line. This picture wont last.. but what I ended up using seems like it will work just fine.

Applications - Control Lines, Halyards, Wire Replacement
Features - Low Stretch, High Strength, Abrasion Resistance
Average Strength - 1500 lbs