Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

My name is Doug. I have a 2015 Tandem Island on Westernport Bay near Melbourne, Australia. It can be quite a tricky bit of water.

I use my Tandem alone most of the time and I regularly camp overnight or do multiple nights with gear. I don't get to sail with other AI/TI owners so I don't have the opportunity to try other peoples dollys out.

I regularly have to pull the TI a LONG way up a random beach when I camp out somewhere.

I need to get above the high tide mark and sometimes I have to pull it a long way while I organise getting back to my car/trailer. I want to bring a dolly with me.

So my question is about carrying a dolly with me while I am out sailing. I have one of the enormous "Island Beach Wheel Dolly" which is great but far too big to bring with me.

I want to get a smaller dolly to place it in the purpose made holes behind the rear seat and go sailing. The wheels would be sticking up in the air behind the person in the rear seat.

Does anyone do this?

I know there is a fold away product (Fold and Stow Wheelcart, SKU 80047001) but I suspect the Tandem Island might be too much for that.

If I get a larger dolly or even one that has sand wheels (Trax 2 Sand Wheelcart, SKU 80044101) will the main sheet get tangled in the dolly?

Are there any other problems all you more experienced sailers/kayakers can foresee?

If a dolly at the back wouldn't work do you have any other suggestions that I can carry while I sail quite hard?

Thanks folks.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you looked at C-Tug? https://www.railblaza.com/c-tug/

They easily break down and should fit through your front hatch (double-check that). You can also double them up for more support and carrying capacity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the Hobie Trax with the beach balloon tyres, which stores upside down in the rear scuppers when sailing - reduces elbow room a little, but not really a problem for me, and I'm 6'6".
As discussed on here a few times, it can be tricky to install under water (easy enough to take out).
Various methods available, including lifting the stern (with a crew member plugging it in) or rolling the kayak on one side.
If it's used in the rear scuppers on the tandem, the nose weight is still quite heavy so if pulling longer distance it's worth getting them in the middle holes if you can.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Doug!

I currenly use the heavy-duty plug-in cart very successfully on my TI (https://www.sunstatehobie.com.au/store/ ... g-in-cart/). Happily stays in the rear scupper holes and out of the way while out on the water, and very handy when you reach somewhere to be able to move it off the beach/shore.

As already mentioned, this can be tricky to plug in while in the water sometimes. I keep thinking (while I'm nowhere near the water) that it would be easiest to fit this while the TI was in the water by taking the wheels off first, then just installing the frame under the water, then putting the wheels on. Have yet to remember to try this while in the water, though.

I'm only using this one as it came with the (2nd-hand) TI. When it's too knackered, I'll be buying the beach version (https://www.sunstatehobie.com.au/store/ ... t-plug-in/).

For the beach one, I reckon the wheels-off-while-installing-under-water might be even more appropriate, if it works.

Cheers!
Michael.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

atv223 wrote:
Have you looked at C-Tug? https://www.railblaza.com/c-tug/

They easily break down and should fit through your front hatch (double-check that). You can also double them up for more support and carrying capacity.

Thanks for that. I have seen them and they may well be a good option. I wanted to see if I could use the purpose made holes in the TI to store and stabilise the dolly.

If it is very stable I have a simple plan to adapt the carried dolly by making a strong fabric cover that bridges from one wheel to the next and converts the dolly into a type of Quarterdeck.

Bit of sewing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RedKite wrote:
I use the Hobie Trax with the beach balloon tyres, which stores upside down in the rear scuppers when sailing - reduces elbow room a little, but not really a problem for me, and I'm 6'6".
As discussed on here a few times, it can be tricky to install under water (easy enough to take out).
Various methods available, including lifting the stern (with a crew member plugging it in) or rolling the kayak on one side.
If it's used in the rear scuppers on the tandem, the nose weight is still quite heavy so if pulling longer distance it's worth getting them in the middle holes if you can.

Thank you Mr Redkite,

That's very helpful info, I am over 6 foot but if that works for you it will almost certainly work for me.

I have read all the posts about getting the dolly in and out. I sail alone so it will be a challenge.

I shall just try to remember to develop my method with no-one else around while I embarrass myself.

As I mentioned to Forsythem I want to see if I can get doubl;e duty out of the dolly;

If it is very stable I have a simple plan to adapt the carried dolly by making a strong fabric cover that bridges from one wheel to the next and converts the dolly into a type of Quarterdeck. (I bet someone on here has done something similar but Ive not found them yet.)

The change of sitting position is attractive, I will be able to see further and I have the old style seats so a dry backside will be a bonus.

I tend to sail for 4-6 hours at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

forsythem wrote:
G'day Doug!

I currenly use the heavy-duty plug-in cart very successfully on my TI (https://www.sunstatehobie.com.au/store/ ... g-in-cart/). Happily stays in the rear scupper holes and out of the way while out on the water, and very handy when you reach somewhere to be able to move it off the beach/shore.

As already mentioned, this can be tricky to plug in while in the water sometimes. I keep thinking (while I'm nowhere near the water) that it would be easiest to fit this while the TI was in the water by taking the wheels off first, then just installing the frame under the water, then putting the wheels on. Have yet to remember to try this while in the water, though.

I'm only using this one as it came with the (2nd-hand) TI. When it's too knackered, I'll be buying the beach version (https://www.sunstatehobie.com.au/store/ ... t-plug-in/).

For the beach one, I reckon the wheels-off-while-installing-under-water might be even more appropriate, if it works.

Cheers!
Michael.

Excellent. Thanks Michael.

This is helpful. I shall look for one of these heavy duty options second hand and failing that its my birthday soon.

If I splash out I will have both the Big beach dolly and a Hobie Trax 2 ....... 4 big beach wheels.

The next step (after the quarterdeck idea above) will be to try "terrasailing" the Tandem Island with both dollys attached!

(Only joking.)

(Or am I?)

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

forsythem wrote:

Hi Michael, I had considered doing this but concluded the little spring clips holding the wheels on would be a right fiddle to fit underwater, and there's also a very good chance of loosing one!
I started to look at alternative (bigger) clip options, that could maybe also be tethered, but as yet I have not tried any.
If sailing solo this would def be worth looking in to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pooka MacPhellimey wrote:
Hello everyone,

My name is Doug...
So my question is about carrying a dolly with me while I am out sailing. I have one of the enormous "Island Beach Wheel Dolly" which is great but far too big to bring with me.

Thanks folks.

Doug

Check out the Wilderness System Heavy Duty Cart with beach wheels. It comes apart and may fit inside. I don't have one, but have read good things about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RedKite wrote:
forsythem wrote:

Hi Michael, I had considered doing this but concluded the little spring clips holding the wheels on would be a right fiddle to fit underwater, and there's also a very good chance of loosing one!
I started to look at alternative (bigger) clip options, that could maybe also be tethered, but as yet I have not tried any.
If sailing solo this would def be worth looking in to.

Good point... wouldn't be terribly convenient to drop one/both of those spring clips while fiddling about under the water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try using high density foam rollers which you put in front of the TI and lift it 6" so weight on the rollers. Then as you pull it up the beach you feed more rollers and finally take the used ones from the back as they roll out and place then in front again. You can buy them online such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MPU106/re ... in_2_title

I use 3 three 36" long and 6" diameter ($30 each) rollers with one in front of each hull when collapsed so need to angle the side ones to roll toward the main hull. Then pull or winch the TI up the beach. When the rollers pass under the front seat you can wedge the beach dolly under the last foot of the TI since the weight of the front section makes the back lighter as it pivots like a see-saw. That weight keeps it in place so it doesn't fall out. Then take the first side one when unweighted and put under front central hull and repeat.

Of course you do not need the beach dolly but I use it because I return to where I started and leave it in tow vehicle so available when I return. If you wanted to carry them with you then I would strap 4 of them in the front well so don't blow away if solo sailing.

I have a winch on my trailer and 100' rope so can pull it up from the mud flats and up the beach. I clip the rope to another clip on another short rope attached to each side of the front cross bar on the TI. I'm thinking of adding a small 12 volt lithium ion battery powered remote control electric rope/dyneema winch on the TI front cross bar so can control the winch while repositioning the rollers. The other end is tied up beach to some object but in my case tied to the trailer which is not allowed on the beach. One person can move the 250 lb TI easily because it floats above the ground, 6 " up in front and 14" up if using beach dolly at rudder.

Bobco70