Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chart Plotter v GPS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Had an unfortunate situation a few years ago, I like to dead reckon but my skills don't match the wife's expectations. Got lost, and all ended well but I need to eliminate these things. We also do alot of biking and while the phone works for this seeing the screen in bright daylight sucks. A handheld GPS like the Magellan Triton 1500 looks good, might help in both situations. But nothing better than BTDT experience. What have you tried and what do you like? Not doing long distance sailing just need something to give me a heading for return. Since these boats will float in a puddle I don't need charts either. Just a direction when I get mixed up.

Post subject: Re: Chart Plotter v GPS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for the Chartplotter. They have come way down in price and are very reasonable now. Vehicle and hiking GPS devices are for land. Chartplotters are GPS devices specifically for water. Most have integral depth finders and detailed maps even for small bodies of water.

If price is the issue, you can get an excellent Garmin Chartplotter such as the Garmin Striker Plus 5cv for under $275. Or a handheld Garmin GPSMAP 78S for under $110. That was unthinkable years ago when they cost a small fortune.

Post subject: Re: Chart Plotter v GPS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, will look into the little one. I really don't need depth with a TI and like the handheld size. Should be interesting trying to read it though. I am getting the triton also, will do a comparison and keep the one we(she) prefers. I still like getting lost!