Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey gang,

Did a search and seeing how I didn't come up with any hits this is probably a BAD idea. Any how, I sort of have some lofty dream of participating in the annual Texas 200 (200 mile 5 day or so trek up/down TX coast). I know my 2013 and 2008 need a bit of TLC before this trip in June 2021 and I know my max load for this tri-maran of sorts is 350lbs (I'm assuming this is with the AMAs?). What I see to be the biggest challenge is bringing enough water for 5 days and I know it really doesn't matter where it's located (to a degree best is distributed for a good float attitude) it's all about buoyancy as it relates to displacement. So I'm curious has anyone tried or know of anyone putting potable water (maybe just a couple of gallons) in each AMA while underway for fresh water storage? I'd have to figure out an efficient way of pumping it in and out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Did you mean just sloshing around inside the ama, or in a bladder of some sort?
I doubt the former would be a good idea, the hull material is unlikely to be food-safe.
And if using bladders, why not in the vaka or strapped to the tramps, to save cutting holes in an ama?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

RedKite wrote:
Did you mean just sloshing around inside the ama, or in a bladder of some sort?
I doubt the former would be a good idea, the hull material is unlikely to be food-safe.
And if using bladders, why not in the vaka or strapped to the tramps, to save cutting holes in an ama?

Just sloshing around inside the ama. I'm definitely not going to be cutting holes in my AMA's. The plastic is food-safe, it's just HDPE (lots of potable waiter tainers are made from this plastic). This is just one of these "thinking way outside the box" ideas and I'm just fishing to see if any one has seen this done before.

True, I'd simply use containers and strap them to hakas etc. Which is actually what i would also do. I think this ama 2 gallon water storage could serve as just an emergence reserve. Of course with added loading out in the AMAs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I love a new challenging question!

Of course it would reduce your flotation by the amount of water you're putting in there (or by the amount of air you're removing, to be precise). Is that effectively the same in regards to buoyancy as keeping the water onboard in another fashion...? Probably. Would it keep the weight lower - definitely.

The initial thing I thought of would be that in situation where your ama would be lifted out of the water (keeling over under sail), this is then going to put additional strain on the supporting hardware - with that weight and levered out right to the end of the akas, even more than weight on the tramps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

forsythem wrote:
The initial thing I thought of would be that in situation where your ama would be lifted out of the water (keeling over under sail), this is then going to put additional strain on the supporting hardware - with that weight and levered out right to the end of the akas, even more than weight on the tramps.

I stand corrected on the food-safe aspect!
But as noted above, the ama weight could exceed strength of bungies, and I'm guessing the water will probably spill to one end putting leverage on just one aka connection.
Having said that, a couple of kilos of water isn't such a big deal, but I think I would just go with a camelbak-type bladder or 2 stuffed into the main hull somewhere - you could then lay the hoses back to a hatch or even to a deck gland if you want to get fancy?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

They guys for the input. The added weight to the AMAs is the biggest concern for me. I was just curious if anyone has heard such a thing?