Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Am wondering how people launch their TI with spray skirts. I launch mine off the trailer with the amas closed in, then put the amas out and mount the tramps once we're on the water. However, this means I'm not using the spray skirts, as I can't easily get to the front of the boat. How do you launch? I wondered about finding a shallow place to wade in and set things up before climbing in from the front, but that doesn't seem very elegant and I'd be climbing over the skirts.

I suppose I could set the amas, tramps and skirts before launching, but I'd still need to somehow get in after parking the trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unless the design of your trailer prevents it, why not fully setup while on the trailer? This is what I do. It greatly simplifies getting the amas out, the tramps setup, hakas, spray skirts, mast, lines, and other gear without having to wade around in the water or deal with a the boat rocking in the current.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

shadowfox wrote:
Unless the design of your trailer prevents it, why not fully setup while on the trailer? This is what I do. It greatly simplifies getting the amas out, the tramps setup, hakas, spray skirts, mast, lines, and other gear without having to wade around in the water or deal with a the boat rocking in the current.

I could do that, but then how do you get in? Do you tie the boat to the dock and climb across the amas / tramps to get in?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Depends on where I'm sailing.

If I can, I tie onto a dock while I park my car. I have strong enough hakas that I just step across them to get in. But I did the same with just the tramps before I built the hakas.

If there is no dock available I just slide it off the trailer and pull it up onto the beach while I park. The I just wade it out and jump into the back seat. Amas aren't in the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I think I'm going to build hakas on mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have tramps and spray skirts as well. I also set up while boat is on the trailer, except the mast. Back down to the ramp slowly close to the water, install mast, tie a line to the bow, and shove off the trailer. Tie up to the dock or pull up onto land while I park the truck. If I'm tied up to dock, "walk" across tramp to get in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LarryJ wrote:
I have tramps and spray skirts as well. I also set up while boat is on the trailer, except the mast. Back down to the ramp slowly close to the water, install mast, tie a line to the bow, and shove off the trailer. Tie up to the dock or pull up onto land while I park the truck. If I'm tied up to dock, "walk" across tramp to get in.

I'm just nervous about putting weight on the tramps. Keep envisioning the AKAs buckling, or the tramp straps breaking. Maybe I'll set them out on the lawn at home and experiment using them like a real trampoline.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ian S wrote:
...I'm just nervous about putting weight on the tramps. .

the tramps are designed to hold peoples weight. they will give when you step on it, but will hold your weight.