Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

New TI owner, I really love this boat and hence thinking of possible later upgrade.
Any feedback on the use of the Evolve V2 motor kit on that specific boat ?
thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would not want to put a motor in the mirage drive slot. If you hit ground or a heavy object it does not kick up. Did you view the long thread about using a torqeedo motor for your TI?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HobieTI wrote:
I would not want to put a motor in the mirage drive slot. If you hit ground or a heavy object it does not kick up.

I second this. I ran one season using the evolve in the drive well of my Oasis tandem. I did not like one person not being able to pedal when using the motor. Also worried about bottom-strike damage to the evolve and kayak. Fortunately, the 2 I experienced were in soft mud or at slow speed. I then moved the evolve to the rudder where it has remained the past 4 seasons but this is not an option for the TI.

I do plan to get a TI in the future. The evolve is not good value for the money and has not improved at all since the v2 came out. The newer Torqeedos are direct drive versus the inefficient and noisy gearbox in the evolve. If I were powering a TI today I would be looking at:

- Torqeedo Travel 1103 CS outboard or maybe ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 Evo
- Remote Throttle
- Custom or commercial outboard mount behind rear seat
- Battery remote mounted in front hatch

I would use rudder steering rather than the tiller or integrated motor steering.

The mounting and controls routing for the Torqeedo Ultralight 1103CS is more complex than I’d want.

Peter

Last edited by plfinch on Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Semper Fi wrote:
New TI owner, I really love this boat and hence thinking of possible later upgrade.
Any feedback on the use of the Evolve V2 motor kit on that specific boat ?
thank you in advance.

Please see this thread and consider one of the offerings from Torqeedo. Torqeedo actually manufactures the Evolve, but there are better models for use on the TI.

Please see this thread if you would be willing to consider a gas outboard.

I have a lot of experience using both Torqeedo and gas outboard motors on the TI. Please feel free to ask questions on either thread and I'll help in any way possible.

Last edited by pro10is on Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

plfinch wrote:
HobieTI wrote:
I would not want to put a motor in the mirage drive slot. If you hit ground or a heavy object it does not kick up.

I second this. I ran one season using the evolve in the drive well of my Oasis tandem. I did not like one person not being able to pedal when using the motor. Also worried about bottom-strike damage to the evolve and kayak. Fortunately, the 2 I experienced were in soft mud or at slow speed. I then moved the evolve to the rudder where it has remained the past 4 seasons but this is not an option for the TI.

I do plan to get a TI in the future. The evolve is not good value for the money and has not improved at all since the v2 came out. The newer Torqeedos are direct drive versus the inefficient and noisy gearbox in the evolve. If I were powering a TI today I would be looking at:

- Torqeedo Travel 1103 CS outboard or maybe ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 Evo
- Remote Throttle
- Custom or commercial outboard mount behind rear seat
- Battery remote mounted in front hatch

I would use rudder steering rather than the tiller or integrated motor steering.

The mounting and controls routing for the Torqeedo Ultralight 1103CS is more complex than I’d want.

Peter

Good thoughts. But you're right, mounting a Torqeedo Travel 1103 CS would be about the same complexity as mounting a gas outboard. You would need to fabricate an outboard mount. Mounting a remote throttle and routing the wire for it wouldn't be too bad though.

The Torqeedo 1103 AC would be ideal for a TI if there were only a mounting solution. I tried to work with Torqeedo on a solution for this but they did not seem interested enough to supply one for me to fabricate a mount for it.