Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Debating on buying additional Island now or waiting to see what/if any upgrades. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mariner Sails had two 2021 TI's still in stock as of late last week.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

No changes that I know of.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My local dealer tells me the TI will go up to $8300. And the AI may be discontinued.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom, looking online for them now. And RickO, I heard that too on the price increase and AI discontinuation. :(

Matt, if no changes/upgrades then I can confidently look for a 2021 AI/TI to purchase. :) If I look at older models, What year started implementing the main four upgrades--retractable dagger, seat, drain, 180 drives?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

vtiem wrote:
main four upgrades--retractable dagger, seat, drain, 180 drives?

I don't know which year is which, but don't forget the other newish feature of the drives: the kickup fins. I think that was separately added at some point after the 180 drives.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I forgot about those! Guess I assumed they were part of the 180.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

2015 on the AI & TI for seat / drain, centerboard and new hull shapes.

2017 for 180 Drives.

2019 for KU drives

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

$8,300 in 2022 vs. $7,500 2021 MSRP. >10% ($800) price increase and no changes. I know freight prices are going up, but that's hard to swallow.

I know demand is strong and supply chain issues are still causing issues. Hobie knows how to maximize profit!

If you are interested in a TI and can find a 2021 anywhere, you better jump on it!

Should help those looking to sell 2019-21 models.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mantaray wrote:
$8,300 in 2022 vs. $7,500 2021 MSRP. >10% ($800) price increase and no changes. I know freight prices are going up, but that's hard to swallow. If you are interested in a TI and can find a 2021 anywhere, you better jump on it!

mmiller wrote:
2015 on the AI & TI for seat / drain, centerboard and new hull shapes.

2017 for 180 Drives.

2019 for KU drives
[/quote]

Matt SUPER helpful thanks, and agree with you Mantary, with price jump and no new upgrades, time to jump on any available 2017 on up models.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another upgrade added after the 2014 was the double bungees on the amas. Those can be added to any model, as can upgrading the pedal drives. Seat and dagger/center board/drain system upgrades are specific to new hull designs, which leads me to ask if anything else in the hull was modified? Meaning, are the 2017 + models modified for say tracking, speed, or anything else?

Also, I haven't tried the new seats as my model is a 2014, but I like the seat. Definitely in the minority there but could be due to my small size. So, in the new models, if I don't like the seats up higher, can I use the old model seat or is that not possible with new drain system in place?

Really appreciate the info as I try to decide between adding a second AI or a TI and what model years. Goal is to be able to take friends out with me. I wasn't successful taking a passenger on the AI as I'm light and small and passengers always weigh more, so unless I give up helm, there's a weight distribution problem. (Most "guests" would not be agile or comfortable enough to jump from tramp to tramp to allow sailing) A Tandem would solve this, but... so would a second AI to offer up to guest, as I can't see ever taking the tandem out when sailing solo, since the AI is a lot for me to manage w/launch and dock on my own. Could be why there's not a lot of women captaining these solo--but I LOVE it. Absolutely addicted. So info is much appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

vtiem wrote:
Also, I haven't tried the new seats as my model is a 2014, but I like the seat. Definitely in the minority there but could be due to my small size. So, in the new models, if I don't like the seats up higher, can I use the old model seat or is that not possible with new drain system in place?

The new seats are height adjustable and sit pretty low at the lowest setting. I doubt you will think they are too high, although I've never tried the old seats for comparison.
Quote:
I can't see ever taking the tandem out when sailing solo, since the AI is a lot for me to manage w/launch and dock on my own. Could be why there's not a lot of women captaining these solo-

I would really try to find a TI that you can "test drive". You may find that launch/dock of a TI is not that much different than the AI, assuming you're doing it from a trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I would really try to find a TI that you can "test drive". You may find that launch/dock of a TI is not that much different than the AI, assuming you're doing it from a trailer.

Beach is just outside the channel. I'd like to try trailering over and launching with Hobie's beach plug-in cart which I have, but haven't tried yet, so not sure I can even manage the AI like that on my own. We're in the Harbor with seawall and deep-water boat slips. For now, one slip is for our big boat and I'm using the other for the AI. My long term goal is to get a lift and modify it for the AI, but for this season, in order to keep it fully rigged "at" the water but not "in" the water, I'm using a 10'x10' inflatable swim platform, which is surprisingly working out well. It's low to the water and with an outside mat runner, it slides off and on quite easily. A TI would need a lift for sure in this scenario. My other concern is if I'd want to ever sail the tandem solo or if I'd still prefer the AI for solo sail.

Agree, trying one before purchase is a must.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I know freight prices are going up, but that's hard to swallow.

It is all the costs that have gone way up.

Labor is spiking. We can't get people to hire without increasing wages.

All vendor materials are rising rapidly. Aluminum is hard to get and is expensive. Supplies of the plastic powder is being rationed and costs are rising.

Freight-in is insane. A 40 foot container used to cost $3,500 and is now quoted at $19,000 coming from Asia. We are paying for time the ships sit idle outside ports waiting their turn to unload or load.

Unfortunately, we can't maintain current pricing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

At what point do the freight costs and delays warrant looking into molding the kayaks in the US instead of China? I am guessing we are still a long way from that in terms of total cost. I know there are companies in the US that do rotomolding, so someone knows how to do it domestically and be profitable.

So, once we get through this shortage of raw material, freight logjams, labor shortages, etc, and prices ease, we can expect Hobie to follow suit and drop MSRP? (Just a joke)