Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone uses a tandem mast with the AI sail or the tandem mast and sail on the Adventure Island?
If yes,what are your experiences?

I am sailing now mostly on a small pond, which got only very light winds most of the time. So I am thinking about more sail surface. The AI is not continued so potential replacement parts too
Thanks for your Input
Karl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'll need to be careful. Mast size is critical for a small boat such as the AI. A larger mast might overwhelm it which might cause structural damage and/or a capsize.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did fit a 2010 TI mast/sail to my 2011 AI. Pics are gone but some info (discussion gets off topic early but gets back on topic end P2) here:
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... sail+on+AI
Some video

I did the mod to improve light wind performance. In the above trip I had stronger winds so had it furled for most of the trip as I didn’t want to overstress the V-Brace and stud. I overlayed the AI sail on the TI sail and marked it with tape so I knew how much to furl to get the same AI sail area. It did work well though, even when furled.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

karlg wrote:
Anyone uses a tandem mast with the AI sail or the tandem mast and sail on the Adventure Island here?
If yes,what are your experiences?

I am sailing now mostly on a small pond, which got only very light winds most of the time. So I am thinking about more sail surface. The AI is not continued so potential replacement parts too
Thanks for your Input
Karl

I own one and adore it. I transport mine on my vehicle using a ladder rack with no problems. In fact, I'm thinking about building a cradle up there because it spends roughly a week out of every month up there throughout the summer.

They are extremely proficient sailboats as well as adaptable kayaks. I've launched through surf, battled through 4' rolling swells, and fought through 25mph persistent gusts. It was insane, and I will never do it again, but the boat handled it flawlessly.

If you have any queries, I'd be pleased to answer them.