Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have a 2013 TI - bought used with a shorelander trailer with hobie cradles. Its easy to launch from a good trailer and easy to tow - Ive towed it across the USA and launched it in the pacific California and Florida keys, gulf, and atlantic sides. I have a set of trolly wheels that I use where there are not boat ramps and I can unload this myself. Its heavy for one person but doable.
I upgraded the pedal drives to the new mirage reversible drives that come with new boats.

The TI is a great and stable boat with two people or one person. Much of the time I run it by myself using the empty seat for cargo - my wife is not as much of a fan but still enjoys sailing it if the winds are favorable.

I have the spinaker setup which does add a bit more power in lighter winds.

I love this boat. Its easy to handle and fun. I rarely ever worry about it flipping: ive made some improvements though to keep the akas stable in the event of rougher seas. Still have more to learn but it would be tough to find a boat that is more fun and less work. As long as you keep in mind the boats limits and avoid rough conditions its great.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good day,

I had both the AI and TI in the last year. I put about 200km on a 2009 AI last year and it was just an all around fantastic boat. Then late in the season I stumbled across a 2019 TI and got that, sold the AI.

The TI is terrific as well, especially with all the updates Hobie made over the 10 years (much better seats, not even comparable and dagger built in being the main two). I do like being able to take a second person with me. It sails easily from both seats. The drawbacks with the TI are the weight and rigging.

Weight - I am on the water but have about 100 yards to roll it down and in - 50 yards along my property is easy with the wheels but the rocky shore bit is an incredible hassle. The AI I can do fairly easily by myself. That extra weight with the TI makes it near impossible to roll it out that last 20 yards. I have both the cradle and tough wheels. I haven't found either works well over rocks. Both work excellent over grass, gravel, pavement.

Rigging with the TI is just something different - same two lines to furl and unfurl but if you sit in the back of the TI you need to connect the two together to be able to reach the furling line. Plus I find there is an inordinate amount of line when the sail is unfurled. Easy enough but have to be aware so it doesn't get tangled up. I often have to get the front passenger to move their arm or something out of the way when I furl. No big deal, just something I noticed.

So far I've gone 17.7km/hour on the AI and 15.8km/hour on the TI so it seems like the AI was faster but I've not got as much time on the TI and find I chicken out around 15km/hour on the TI. It is usually leaning and harder to control at that point. It may also be a wise decision. The water is cold where I am and I do not want to flip it (ever really, but especially not when it's 55 degrees).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I solo my 2019 TI quite a bit, and prefer sitting in back. For the furling line, I simply replaced it with a longer one that reaches the back seat, so all is easily handled. The one frustration I had when soloing is that even with the plug in the drive well, a lot of water splashes up, and there is a lot of turbulence. After reading some fairly creative and complicated solutions to plug the well, I went old school- I put 3 strips of gorilla duct tape on the bottom to cover the hole. It has stayed on through multiple outings, and works like a charm. Waves and splashing filled the well with water, though, so I cut a small slit in the tape and now water drains out as the kayak moves.

With the smooth bottom and a steady breeze of 15 knots, the kayak starts to plane, and I see speeds of 7 knots (13kph) upwind, and 11 knots (20 kph) off the wind. I can feel it straining the TI a bit, but it sure is fun to go skipping along at those speeds. More wind than that or a bumpy sea and I start to furl and slow it down.

For pedaling solo, I am very happy with the efficiency of the drive, and can cruise along all day. For transport, I have a trailer and cradles, and launch at ramps or off a beach, which is simple and easy. That's key for me- simple and easy. If it becomes a hassle or takes too long, I wouldn't use it.