Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions! The Bixpy worked fine for our needs on the TI. We are trying to figure out the best way to attach it to the TI. Don't want a permanent attachment. I emailed Bixpy about the broken adapter and they emailed back that they would fix it for us. I asked them about other options to use the Bixpy and they responded that the mirage pedal opening is the best option. We will try that option again and let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

michelecartalk wrote:
I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions! The Bixpy worked fine for our needs on the TI. We are trying to figure out the best way to attach it to the TI. Don't want a permanent attachment. I emailed Bixpy about the broken adapter and they emailed back that they would fix it for us. I asked them about other options to use the Bixpy and they responded that the mirage pedal opening is the best option. We will try that option again and let you know how it goes.

Attempt to ensure that you don't have the motor mounted in shallow water to try to avoid further damage. I can tell you from experience that's not an easy thing to do. Shallow water tends to often creep up on you unexpectedly using a TI. The tip-up feature of my motor has saved it many times. I had to install a depth finder and set a 4-foot shallow water alarm, otherwise there was no way I could ever ensure I didn't find myself unexpectedly in shallow water on occasion. I have a $900 depth finder/GPS chart plotter with a huge screen and yet I still manage to wander into shallow water now and then. :shock: The only thing that keeps me alert at all times is the nice alarm feature.

You can easily install a depth finder on a TI and they're well worth it. It doesn't need to be expensive. You can get a decent one with GPS for around $115. Highly recommended even if you didn't use a motor.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

powersjr2 wrote:
Agree the Torqeedo Ultralight 1103A would be a solid electric motor to add the TI.

The larger Torqeedo 1103A does come with a higher price north of $2900 and weight ~34 lbs.

Better fit for my sailing (and budget) requirements has been the Suzuki 2.5 HP with a price of $750 and a weight of 29 lbs. Range and thrust are solid.

I agree, I own the Suzuki 2.5 and use it alongside my Torqeeo 403. I know it's crazy to own both, but I wanted to do a direct comparison of them and then document it for other TI owners which I've since accomplished.

The bottom line is that the Suzuki has considerably more power and speed than the 403 and is a lot less expensive, but when I shut down the Suzuki and cruise silently and blissfully with the 403, it's a joy to behold. Much more like sailing. I have to wear earplugs when using my Suzuki, otherwise it'll eventually give me a bad headache. The 403 is so much more relaxing and that's what I love to do on my TI. I only use the Suzuki when I need to go 4-5 MPH for long distances or if I find myself in rough weather.

The 1103AC is as powerful as the Suzuki and even quieter than the 403 due to the new direct drive, so other than the price, it's the ideal motor for a TI. I hope to get one this year if my plans work out. If I do, I'll post a full review along with detailed plans and a BOM for building an optimized, replicable TI mount for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree, the electric motor is quite.

I think in 3 to 5 years.. we will look back at these threads with a smile. And hopefully by then there will be some sort of solid state battery breakthrough with 5 to 10 X power with 1/4 the weight with the cost under $1000 for a light weight 3 hp equivalent electric outboard.... and maybe Hobie would have redesigned the TI with a new hull with a built in motor mount.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold