Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A local boat builder is refitting a rowing boat for me and I've asked him to make a well that will accommodate my adventure island's torqeedo motor (evolve). Because of all the contours in the AI's drive well, I'm having a hard time feeling confident about my ability to measure the well with sufficient precision. I'd be grateful for any thoughts about how to do this, or, of course, a set of specs!

Thanks!

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are wanting to mount a Hobie Evolve (Torqeedo Ultralight) on a row boat using the drivewell mount? You could just use a Hobie Mirage Drive Plug to get the dimensions right, I guess. Though I would probably want the boat builder to have the actual motor drive for fitting.

But a rowboat generally does not have a highly buoyant air-filled hull like a sit-on-top kayak. I am curious how your boat builder will put a mirage drive well (a big hole) in the middle of a row boat such that it won't immediately fill with water and sink. And the locks for the Mirage drive / Evolve need to be securely mounted in an area that is very sturdy (even Hobie's first Mirage kayaks had issues with hull cracks in and around the drivewell).

Hate to be a naysayer but, unless I am missing something, this seems like a very difficult and complex task versus selling the Evolve motor and getting a motor more appropriate for a rowboat. Maybe you are mounting the motor to the back of the hull such that it does not compromise hull integrity and buoyancy?

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wish I knew what I did with the mirage drive plug that came with my old AI, but until now I never had a use for it and, while I can't imagine throwing it out, I haven't been able to find it. I tried making one with some art putty material crammed into the well and allowed to harden, but it didn't work out.

As for the boat sinking if there's a hole in the bottom, I think motors through the bottoms of boats has been done in the past. I'm no engineer but I think that the trick is that the motor has to be situated in a well that is raised up from the bottom of the boat, then the motor shaft extends below. The question is whether the shaft of the hobie/torqeedo is long enough that the well can be built up high enough to be above the water line (even with the boat loaded), but I don't think it has to be very high in this case.

I've had unsatisfactory experiences mounting motors to the transoms of small sail boats. I've ended up with too much weight in the rear of the boat unless you add ballast to the bow, so I like that the motor can be in the boat's center. The AI, being so low and flat and mostly unsinkable, doesn't have much of an issue with this. Nevertheless, the motor in the middle works out well for it too.

Tim