Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI parts needed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello I flipped my 2017 TI (papaya color) and lost the starboard AMA AKA assembly including the trampoline. I am looking for a replacement. I am told that any year AMA for the TI will work. If anyone has parts for sale or suggestions, I would be very grateful for your help. Marcel in Bellingham WA. 480-277-5919

Post subject: Re: TI parts needed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. I don't have any tips on parts, but I'm curious how it happened. I have not read of anyone capsizing a TI unless the Ama folded in. Is that what happened?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes I was running with a 10mph wind and the leeward AKA pulled out of the crossbar. I had cleaned it and secured it properly before trailering the boat (6 miles) but did not recheck it at the launch. I also did not have the trampolines extended this time (wonder if the add strength) I have sailed in these winds several times and had furled in the sail but I think rocking and pressure from 3 ft. seas disengaged the aka. I would like to look for a way to add a clevis pin to the aka joint. And I am hoping someone can help me find another ama. (other parts seem to be available. I would also urge that everyone sailing the TI practice righting it. I tried pulling the outside ama with a strap and it came up about a quarter and then the strap buckle gave out. Quite different to furl the sail with it upside down and with the wave current pressure on the sail. I also tried to release the mast but there was too much upward pressure. Big lesson that I understood what I was supposed to do but hadn't practiced doing it. I lost the starboard ama while getting towed in. it had been tied to the rescue boat gunnel with the ama down and it pulled free. They searched for it but it wasn't found.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh man. That's even sadder that you saved the ama to then only lose it while being towed in.

I have disconnected the angled ama brace with the tramps deployed and they totally prevented me from folding in the ama with considerable force. So they do definitely provide strength. But whether they would help keep the ama from pulling out of the crossbar, I don't know. I also usually sail with spine board hakas if there's any significant wind and they provide another strengthening against ama folding in.