Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone,
I have read all the advice on the cooper sand anchor and how to rig it. I live in SW Florida with sugar sand beaches but shells etc tear the bottom of my kayaks up when pulling to shore. I am a new TI owner and was thinking this might work well. I mostly use the TI to get to beaches away from people. This seems like it would be easier and less to carry? Any thoughts? I would jump out 2-3 feet of water turn Hobie TI around so bow facing toward waves then step on spike into sand.
[url][/url]WAVESRX Beach Anchoring Bundle | 12" Aluminum Sand Anchor + 7' Flat Bungee Line | Safely Anchor Your Jet Ski or PWC Near Beach or Sandbar | Ultimate Value & Performance for Jet Skis or PWCs https://a.co/d/6ESfPXp

thanks so much!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It doesn't take a lot to anchor a TI. The lightweight Cooper anchor I have works perfectly and that's what I would recommend. Just be sure to include a length of chain to ensure that it holds well.

The WAVESRX sand spike anchor you show looks like a beach anchor only. How would that prevent your TI from drifting into the sand?

Stick with the Cooper and you'll be fine. It's small, lightweight, and easily fits into the rear hatch. I keep mine in an anchor bag. You might even get away with using the smaller Cooper Red Anchor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also recommend the Cooper blue anchor. Just fits in the circular TI hatches. Light weight holds well. Do need to use it with a chain segment.

Cooper red is too small.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ok thanks, I will go with Blue Cooper with correct chain and line.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Salty_Sway wrote:
Hey everyone,
I have read all the advice on the cooper sand anchor and how to rig it. I live in SW Florida with sugar sand beaches but shells etc tear the bottom of my kayaks up when pulling to shore. I am a new TI owner and was thinking this might work well. I mostly use the TI to get to beaches away from people. This seems like it would be easier and less to carry? Any thoughts? I would jump out 2-3 feet of water turn Hobie TI around so bow facing toward waves then step on spike into sand.
[url][/url]WAVESRX Beach Anchoring Bundle | 12" Aluminum Sand Anchor + 7' Flat Bungee Line | Safely Anchor Your Jet Ski or PWC Near Beach or Sandbar | Ultimate Value & Performance for Jet Skis or PWCs https://a.co/d/6ESfPXp

thanks so much!

I use a blue cooper anchor and a dry bag type sand anchor both work well in appropriate circumstance - the dry bag also works as a drogue/sea anchor.