Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I am considering purchasing a used TI however the boats listed for sale seem to be located a long distance from Connecticut, where I live. I've read about these boats, looked at videos on YouTube but I've never seen one up close. I'd like to connect with a TI owner in the New York/Connecticut metro area who would be willing to allow me to stop by and see his/her TI "in person"? I am 66 years old and, for one thing, I'd like to make sure that I can easily install/remove the mast. Thanks for considering.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you are in reasonable shape you should be able to lift and remove the TI mast. Fairly light weight.

As for seeing a TI you are welcome to take a peak at mine .... and even go for a sail with me! I am located in the Philly area....so a bit of a drive.

I sail year round and just completed a frostbite sail in Delaware Bay last week. You are welcome to join me on a future sail, but you will need proper gear (i.e., a dry suit for frostbite sails). I will be posting a YouTube video on this most recent frostbite sail (that also shows me lifting out the mast) shortly.

Jim

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

3 belles marina is in CT. Bought my boat there, they had rentals too but that was a long time ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are quite a few Hobie dealers in CT. Go here and type in your zip code to find them.

I'm around your age, as long as you have no major physical limitations you need not worry about mounting the sail. The mast is carbon fiber so it is relatively lightweight. Once you've practiced a couple of times at home to get the technique down, you'll have no problems.

A bigger concern is having a trailer. The TI is too large and heavy to car-top. It's a breeze to launch with a trailer though, so be sure to include one.

The TI is an excellent boat for day sailing in relatively protected bodies of water. With some modifications, you can extend its use even more. It's very well-built and will last for well over a decade with proper care. I've used mine extensively since 2015 and it shows little signs of wear. It's a great kayak and a decent sailboat but don't expect it to perform as well as a dedicated sailboat. It's very easy and enjoyable to sail but it lacks performance sailing features some sailing enthusiasts might require.

It's great to see anything you're trying to buy up close and in person, but you can purchase a TI new online with full confidence. Hobie is an excellent company and stands behind its products. This is a top-of-the-line, dual-powered, day sailing kayak, there's little else out there to compete with it in its specific class. You can even motorize it for tri-power.

If you're buying used, and you can't easily travel to see it, then ask for detailed photos. If you post the photos on this forum, we'll give you our combined opinion as to what shape it's in and assess it for you.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just posted a YouTube video of my frostbite sail in Delaware Bay. The video includes shots of lifting the TI mast and placing the TI on my trailer. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/nRBhbAYu9L8

See a bunch more videos here: https://www.youtube.com/@seewind

Enjoy!

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Superb videography and editing Jim! The drone shots were a special treat. Thank you for taking the time to document and share your TI experiences.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just wanted to thank those of you who responded to my initial post regarding my desire to connect with Hobie TI Owners in the NY/CT area. After doing quite a bit of online research, I decided to take the plunge...drove to Sarasota, FL and purchased a TI from Dolphin PaddleSports (thank you to George Kaiser, a very helpful and knowledgeable salesman). I got a great deal on a used 2020 demo TI with a 2023 hull and a new trailer. The 1,350 mile trip back to Connecticut was a little nerve wracking especially from DC through DE, NJ, and NY but I made it down and back in 5 days. Here's a couple of photos. I look forward to warmer weather and getting to know other TI enthusiasts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on your purchase of a TI! I'm sure you'll love it.

I've made that trip from NE to FL many times. It's a long drive through a lot of big cities and yes, it can be nerve-racking. I now take a route well around NYC, Baltimore, Washington DC, and any other large metropolitan areas. It's a little longer milage-wise but well worth it.

Good luck with your TI. Use the time between now and boating season to prep it and learn how to set it up. I also recommend adding the safety enhancements outlined in this forum. If you have any questions about your TI, this is the place for answers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ha, On the road now with my TI in tow heading to the Florida Keys with a possible stop for the Everglades Challenge.

Just drove thru Baltimore, DC, and Richmond... into the Carolinas now.

https://flic.kr/p/2oiRcpj

Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Buzzardeasco, a fellow Connecticutian. I'm in Cheshire and just bought a used 2016 AI from a guy in NJ. It's the one in my signature. Grew up sailing mono hulls in great south bay Long Island. Had a Getaway for about 9 years until I sold it in 2018. Wife kayaks and I miss the sailing so hoping this boat fills the need. Will be keeping this one at our lake house in Winsted. But plan to head out to Little Narragansett bay in Stonington a couple times this summer. That's where I used to sail the Getaway. Lake is nice but also miss the salt and sand. Maybe we can meet up sometime.