Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking forward to my virgin launch Saturday 1/2 mile from my house on Amelia Island, FL. When I get confident I'll be tripping over to Cumberland Island routinely. Any AI owners in the area that would like to do day trips in small groups in the NE FL area would be welcome to contact me about same.

I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between my former 2006 Adventure with a 20 SF sail and the sidekicks and the new AI which is a real sailing trimaran with big ama and a 59 SF furling sail.

Post subject: AI Virgin Voyage
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Took the brand new AI out today from the beach. I'm guessing the winds were about 15mph blowing onshore. The waves on the beach were easily managable but a storm front started coming in view soon after I got through the waves. It was somewhere between choppy and close wave sets.... and it didn't get better farther offshore. Once I figured out the boat and got under sail, it cruised quite nicely. I did very little pedaling once the sails kicked in. I don't have a GPS yet so I can't report on that yet.

The one thing that detracted from the enjoyment was going parallel to the wave sets. With a wide trimaran going parallel to the waves, there was a lot of twisting motion in my hips in reaction to the wavy gravy, kinda like riding a mechanical bull set on low. With the narrower sidekicks I don't remember that much see-saw action in the wave sets. Of course with the 59SF sail you've got to have a wide stance of the amas. SO, yes it was quite fun but I will take it on the bay side of the island where the ocean waves won't affect me much on my next outing. That should be more relaxing fun.

BTW the Trax Cart with the balloon tires is a lot better to drag a heavy yak through the soft beach sand with than the heavy duty Hobie wheels.