Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took the sailboat out with the AI today for a little sailing. The weather called for 10-15 mph wind but it was very light. I got the AI set up and found it is hard to put together in the water. I should have assembled it at the dock and towed it behind the boat. Finally got it together and had a good time peddling it more than sailing it. I saw a large thunder storm off in the distance and should of taken off back to the marina sooner. Right when I tried to pull up the anchors the wind hit.

The wind had to be at least 30-40 mph. I finally got the anchor up and than lost the kill switch plug in the water. With the wind pushing the boat to the rocks and me in a panic. I got the engin started by holding the switch out with my fingers and driving with the boat out. I got out far enough to try to fix the switch. I used a bunge cord and got it in between the switch and the throttle. I was finally able to keep the engin running.

The waves comming at us had to be 4-5 foot swells and a hard head wind. We were making a little head way untill the waves got bigger and the wind harder. The bow was getting burried into the waves and the prop was comming out of the water. After a while I was not gaining any head way and the waves were hitting me so hard that it just stopped all my forwared progress. The wind would than push the boww off and we would get hit hard at the beam. Finally was able to get some head way and made it back to the slip. The AI towed behind the boat very well water going over and popping up again.

I wanted to get into the AI and see how she would do in the waves and wind. But my wife is not comfortable on the boat by her self let a lone in thoses conditions.

I learned a lot and though it was a little scarry I had a great time. Can't wait to get back out again.

Don
Las Vegas