Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ahhhhhh....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Couple of weeks ago we were the Hobie Poster Family, having a ball with the AI and i14T on Buzzard's Bay.

I spotted what looked to be a slick new Hobie cat, a bright, blue, big one, the sailor decked out with matching sky blue PFD, $50 fingerless sailing gloves, and all sorts of rigging glinting in the sun, heading out from Wareham.

I decided to chase him down in the AI, and made a lucky pass. He sort of sneered, and frankly, I didn't appreciate his attitude. A tack here, a long reach there, and just managed to put myself beside him (though fading away) one more time...but the guy was not giving me the time of day. It was not a happy Hobie vibe.

Got back to shore, and discovered -- to such horror and mortification that it's taken me three weeks to write this -- that I had mounted my port ama facing backwards. Backwards, for God's sake. I could've died right there.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So did it affect the sailing much?

My wife once managed to put in her Mirage Drive backwards. When she tried to put on a little burst of speed to clear a dock, the results were...well...the less said the better. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joseph

I did that once with the ama - had them backwards. I just rolled up the sail and changed it out while on the water. It did affect performace a little.

I have a red Island and my wife has a yellow Island and for fun we swapped amas. My red boat with yellow amas and her yellow boat with red amas. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

He might not have even noticed the backward ama. If he did, he's still an a-hole for not honoring the learning curve it took to get him to his exalted position.

A lot of people get into boating and bring societal BS into what their hobby... Tri or cat folk look down at the other. Mono people look down at multis (many do this, obviously, because their disdain qualifies them as being "qualified" sailors; just talk to them and internally giggle at their ignorance). Wooden boat traditionalists (who love working on their museum pieces) sneer at everyone as they plod along in heavy, slow, expensive boats.

The Hobie cat guy was probably PO'd you'd caught up with him. A backward ama isn't that noticeable unless you're intimately acquainted with the craft. As somebody mentioned in an earlier post, so what if our AI's are slower than cats? When they turtle, we'll rescue them!

For me, any craft is honorable. From inner tubes on up.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sailed well enough, and since my wife found it all infinitely amusing, there was at least that dividend.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is another thing that can go wrong. It "happened" to me a couple of months ago.
I wheeled my AI into the water, went back to the car to double check a few things, locked it and got into the AI for a "glorious" take off.
There was a good wind but the AI wasn't as swift as expected. Something was stopping it from picking up speed. As there were a lot of water plants, my guess was that some green got around the daggerboard or rudder.
I pulled the rudder up and down but no improvement. Got the daggerboard out and back in: still the same.
I turned around to look at the back of the AI and then I realised ......that the wheels where still plugged in. :oops:
Well, these things happen. As they say here in Belgium: The only people making no mistakes are those sitting on their butt the whole day doing nothing. :wink:
Gilbert