Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Recently I've had the opportunity to sail my 2007 AI in the company of friends sailing their 2008 models. One difference we noticed is that the 2008 sail no longer says Hobie Island, as my 2007 does. On closer examination, we could not find the word Island anywhere on the 2008 boats. What gives? Did we miss something? I always thought it was traditional to have the name of your product included someplace on the item. I guess us early buyers have the privilege of owning the "real" Adventure Islands. That's OK though, I still like sailing with the new owners and their Hobie Adventure sailing kayaks.

Happy Sailing!
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My '08 Island has stickers near the stern on each side of the hull. For some reason, the word "Island" is in much smaller print than the word "Adventure".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim_L i agree with starboard there is a sticker on each side of the main hull at the rear with the words Hobie Mirage Adventure Island, although Island is in smaller text.

I also had another bigger sticker on the front part of the hull but it washed away on a choppy sail day, maybe that happened to the rear stickers on the 2008 AI you viewed? I have added a snapshot (primarily to test the method needed to add images!) below, i hope:

Post subject: I noticed it also
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I noticed it also this weekend sailing with a 2008 AI

I like the old style sails better.

there were clearly some things that are different, I noticed the new mast release clamp on the mast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Missed that one. I'll have to take a closer look at the decal on the 2008 next time. I just looked at two 2007 boats, and they don't have Island on the decal, just Hobie Mirage Adventure.

There are some nice new features of the 2008 that I do like. I've added the aka strut clips, and I have the clip for the paddle, but haven't put it on because I don't have the bungie web yet. I could probably find something if I looked around, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I've done the rudder flip-up recall, which is great. I've also added a place to carry a spare rudder pin (broken two so far this season) in the aft hatch. I do like the new mast base. May end up doing that. We'll see, I guess.

They say a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into. I must say that I'm continually amazed as to how such a small hole in the water can hold so much money.

- Jim L