Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am wanting to purchase an island tandem. My restrictions and requirements are limited by my super cab long bed pickup truck and the travel trailer we pull with it. We have a fiberglass high clearance shell on the truck. We will need to carry the hull of the tandem island on top of my truck shell.I’m hoping everything else will fit inside of the. 8’ bed. What techniques and devises has any of you used to lift and pace the hull 6’6” off the ground at the backend? I know that there is time required to put everything back together, but we won’t break it down all the time. Most of the time we will be in one location for at least a week or two.
Thanks for your advise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, this is a tough one. I roof topped my tandem for a while, and it was quite easy, if time consuming...but I didn't have the added restriction of a high-top canopy on it. That being said, I launched and loaded mine by myself with my 1 ton truck (i.e., quite tall) with a hitch mounted cross bar.

I would say the biggest help you can give yourself would be to have some sort of guides on your canopy rack. Haul the front of the kayak up onto the canopy rack, supported from sliding sideways by the guides, and being supported at the back on the ground by a human of some sort, and just pull like hell (I assume you can stand on your tailgate to get the height). There are light duty electric winch systems as well that may help drag it onto your rack, especially if you make some sort of removable PVC cradle to guide it up.

I have a permanent mount, heavy duty Rhino rack system, and it easily held the weight of everything (along with the hitch mount deal). No clue if the Rhino boat loader type systems would actually work with the weight of our boats, but something to look into.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Getting the TI on top of the car is not that hard, even for one person with a tall vehicle. Approach from the side and lay the boat perpendicular to the truck. Grab your floormats and put one under the tail of the boat and one on the roof of the vehicle, to prevent scratching. Lift the boat's nose onto the roof, then walk back, pick up the tail, and push/slide the whole boat up onto the roof. Then just pivot/slide the boat around 90 degrees to face forward. There's a few videos on youtube if you search for cartopping tandem island.

The owner's manual is not lying, do not cartop the TI on two crossbars or those foam pads, you will dent the hull. You can turn it upside down and put it on crossbars, but turning it upside down on a tall vehicle is a huge pain for two people, and maybe impossible for one. I found the the Hobie cradles need to have perfect spacing both on the vehicle/trailer and the boat to fit properly, easier said than done. So you can try PVC bunks.

It also helps to secure the bow and stern in a vee versus ratcheting down the middle of the boat too tight.