Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fascinating report Jim, I almost felt like I was there (without the pain). Sounds like a great adventure, even if your trip was shorter than planned. Bravo!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Total respect for you CaptChaos! Awesome report.

Loved the Mr. Jones thing!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Big props to TEAM CHAOS! (What point is there in being crazy, if others don't believe in you?) Put some popcorn on and read the whole report,..

Day 5 - 4pm update
Back in the Everglades, the wacky racers are underway. Here's how the remaining Hobie field stacks up:

2. Chief
3. Shred
4. Windblown/Penguinmad
5. Juscuz ( I had to go to space shuttle view to get him in, :wink: but he's still in it!)

Currently, Chief is cooling his jets at Flamingo, after traversing the inner waterway. That route was a little risky for him? I hear he has very little watertime with the Hobie AI, but is a genuine pro on this course.

Shred is tearing it up going around the cape. Check this out!

Winds are 15+ knots from the WNW. Surfing? Submarine time?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Penguinman is in a very different place, moving at a different pace. He's extended his waterway pedal tour and must be loving it.

He seems to have attempted the dreaded Alligator "Nightmare" leg, but his track went mysteriously screwy there.

So either he did it - to his great credit, 8) or else the Hobie corporate helicopter came and gave him an airlift! :oops: Stay tuned.

But onward he treads. Decisions, decisions,..

Jim's not alone now, and he's working to keep pace with some paddlers. The waterway is getting wider now and he must be tempted to show off, and use the spinnaker in there. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos:
Great writeup, all of us on the forum were following you and the other Hobies with great excitement.
Jim I'll be on team Chaos anytime you need me. I was following you on the tracker through Sarasota bay that first day thinking 'oh crap' thats the worst place to be in high winds. For some reason when the wind kicks up because Sarasota bay is so long the waves easily get up to 4-5 ft in the area you were in. I've been out there several times in 4 ft plus waves (not fun), it's like being in a blender (as bad if not worse than Tampa Bay (near the skyway) in rough weather).
I'm glad your OK
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, Jim. That all sounds like a nightmare to me. You did so much prep and yet you don't feel you prepared enough. I truly admire you for entering the race!

I got a chuckle out of what you said to you son just before the race started. “I only wanted to modify the boat for the race, I really didn't want to actually do this ….”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim's buddies headed south to do the skinny waterway. He's now doing over 7 knots downwind, inside Whitewater bay. Secret weapon?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's Kayakman7, another modified canoe who finished just ahead of dog.

Biggest Hakas I've seen! Notice any other similarities? I hear he owns a TI too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DAY 5- 7PM UPDATE

At sundown, it's getting crowded at Flamingo. Shred and Teak are holding there, resting or prepping, while Penguinman slinks in from the north, on the Buttonwood canal.

Jim may be making race history here on the AI. I believe he has to portage his AI solo to be official there. One hopes he is rested enough, after his recent sailing leg.

Wisely, Chief has decided to get out of dodge, in the dark. I would't take any chances either, with that much Hobie talent hanging around. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Penguinman (aka Jim Czarnowski) is almost at CP3 (Flamingo) which I think makes him the first AI to complete the Wilderness Waterway route for this race.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Checked in but not on the website results with a time yet.

Jim was also the first contestant to complete the Nightmare during this race. For which he gets cool points. 8)

Is this the portage? Anyone know?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The longer shot shows it better. Those guys come in from the north, from the back country/Wilderness Waterway route and have to portage a short distance to get into FL Bay in order to cross from Flamingo to Key Largo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DAY 5 - 9.30PM UPDATE:

SUPNUTGUY is still gliding through the dark Wilderness. pretty much alone, 'cept for the voices in his head.

One nice thing about being on a trimaran, or enclosed yak at night - at least you have the illusion of not being edible...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, that is the portage. Josh Morgan, "Tidetraveller" took his AI inside and arrived at Flamingo this morning. He finished the race about 6 hours behind Dogslife.

I have sailed Choco to Flamingo with Josh. He is a young, fit, firefighter. It can be tough for us old farts to keep up - he's a good sailer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Josh is an excellent paddler with a very skinny kayak and a FEKs sail. Last year he was in the race with an AI.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next