Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 3D model
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all!

My name is Brad and i'm a Junior in Mechanical Engineering at Oregon Tech. I have a Hobie 16 that I've had for a couple years now and since I've had it, it's really struck my interest in marine engineering and manufacturing.

I've recently been very interested in the Americas Cup foiling technology and I think it would be possible to get a Hobie 16 up on foils. I'm currently taking a Computation Fluid Dynamics class where I would be able to simulate the lift and drag and other properties of the pontoons (with foils attached), to see if its something that's really possible.

My problem is that I need a 3D model of a Hobie 16, or even just the pontoons, in order to design the foils around them for my simulation. I really think this is a project that I could pull off with the resources available to me at school, but for now I just need to get my hands on a 3D model (preferably for free).

If anyone out there has one or knows where I could get one, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, I would love to hear some opinions on this idea from anyone with some knowledge/experience in hydro-foiling!

Post subject: Re: Hobie 16 3D model
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hulls... not pontoons.

Is it possible? maybe? it is worth it? I guess that depends on how motivated you are.

I think it would be incredibly difficult to make a truck for the foil to pass through with the V shape of the asymmetrical H16 hulls. To compare any boat that currently foils has a wide U or nearly flat bottom. Also, you're not doing yourself any favors with the low-aspect ratio sail plan for your overall power to weight ratio.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD