Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Curious if anyone has bought or tried to buy a kayak from them?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nobody has, it’s a scam site

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your reply. How do you know it is a scam? Has anyone tried to buy anything from them? I called Hobie and they said they could say it was a scam.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I meant to write that Hobie representative said she could not say whether or not it was legit. Per my credit card company, if the offer was a scam, I would not be charged for the kayak. So just wondering if anyone has tried to order anything from them.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's difficult sometimes to tell whether something is a scam. But I can see some things in the website that cause me concern.

1. I can't find them listed as a Hobie dealership. Especially at the moment, this leads to a big question of where are they getting their boats? Legit dealers are struggling to get boats, so non-dealers getting new boats doesn't seem plausible.

2. One phone number is Phoenix, Arizona and the other is Orange County, California. No physical address for either location, just a phone number. Legit businesses usually tell you where they are located.

3. Poor grammar in some of the writing, indicating that English might not be the native language of the writer. The website was definitely not written by a professional.

4. Poorly developed website. Who would pay good money to have such a poorly designed website?

5. Business records indicate the corporation was formed on 1 August 2021, which doesn't give the place much of a track record. See https://www.bizapedia.com/az/coast-2-coast-sails.html

Your bank is giving you the optimistic answer about what will happen is this is a scam. I'm not an optimist. You'll have to prove that you didn't get what you ordered, and the company might spend a long time arguing this, with you not getting your money back during this time.

Is it a scam? I don't know. But I'd be cautious in doing business with it.

Jim Clark-Dawe