Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: time frame and locations
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

here are some options for location and time frame

Locations options - Delaware or VA Beach

Time frame - Sept 26 - 29 that is a Friday and a weekend - I will already be down there for the TKAA Charity Kayak Fishing Tournament on the 27th

anyone have a beach house and want have some AI house guests

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakman I believe the Kayak organization he was telling me about is a different one called Cask, they meet at my local dealer's home so I will be able to get the full low down.

Its focus is more on outings then fishing. They all meet and help each other with putting in and then travel to a place have a picnic or whatever then travel back not really a race.

Most of the places they go around this area would accommodate the Island nicely, and it would be easy to make a sailing course for some competition if the #'s and desire is there.

He said from his experience it is mainly single women and a few families that attend the kayak outings, which might be more appealing to Island owners as opposed to mainly guys on fast cats which might see us as slowing their fun down.

I didn't originally consider going Kayak club because I don't really want to sail circles around them nor go up skinny streams but we could easily do our own thing in the way of making a sailing course and joining in with them would make planning/organizing/meeting others much easier.

There are not many of us online and we seemed to be pretty widely scattered. Plus if we show up and start having more fun than them maybe we will introduce more people to the joys of Island ownership. I for one hope to learn more about what it takes to organize a successful outing.

Getting organized has been at the top of my to do list forever but I have to admit I haven't made much progress and have a real problem just remembering to bring the sunscreen.

As to the last weekend in Sept. I am good with it and I believe that there is a big regatta that the local Hobie club will be in at the Ocean Front in connection with the Neptune Fest if we wanted to join in it.

I believe the Neptune Fest is primarily a local celebration but campsites might be taken for that weekend. There are plenty of hotels and I think they are a little cheaper then. I live in a mobile home in beautiful new downtown Virginia Beach.

The guy I talked to with 2 Islands does live at the beach and we would be able to put our Islands in there and probably leave them for a couple days, the Cats do all the time. Not sure if he would be up to hosting house guests or a party though. :roll:
gwiz

Post subject: good suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

nice points

I think from your post we have the grounds to get started

Neptune Fest is a great time

I usually stay at the campground south of the strip. I forgot the inlets name, but the campground is called

HOLIDAY TRAV-L-PARK
1075 GENERAL BOOTH BLVD
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23451
Phone: 757-425-0249

it hasn't been sold out in the last 4 years that weekend, they have rv hookups and cabins

how does this sound? as a starting point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Neptune Atlantic Regatta is on the 27'th of Sept. as well. Where are you going to be for your TKAA function?

That camp ground would be good for putting in at Owl Creek by the Marine Science Center and going out Rudy Inlet. It can be tricky especially against an incoming tide but it is where I go when I go out at the ocean front.

First Landing State Park, if sites are available, up at the south entrance to the Chesapeake Bay might be better as it has beach access and RV and electrical hookups.

Even if its just you and me Yakman lets get together and do some racing or regattaing. Hopefully by then I will have met some fellow local Islanders.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gwiz wrote:
Even if its just you and me Yakman lets get together and do some racing or regattaing. Hopefully by then I will have met some fellow local Islanders.
gwiz

DONE! I will plan to be down there from 25th thru the 29th

So we have a couple of days to work with down there

yes Rudy Inlet, I know it well

Could sail out to the CBBT? QWIZ these are your home waters, so you pick the spot

I think for one of the events we could purchase a natucial map that has GPS cordinates. We could preload the GPS's with the course and then race to see who complete's it first. We could mix it up and have a portions where we will have to take down the mast and use the mirage drive

sounds like lots of fun, I know when we race it will be tie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Depending on how much time I get for sailing this summer I will scout out several courses and take gps readings with my gecko, if it still works.

It doesn't have the ability to load or download but I can save gps readings and then try to transfer them to a Google map. Most of this area is in hi-rez but not the Eastern Shore unfortunately.

There are a plenty of channel markers and buoys of various sorts that we could probably get by with line of sight sailing and gps referral points.

Again it depends on how many want to participate and how pre-organized the event needs to be. If its just a flexible few It might be best to let conditions present determine where we sail. Tides and wind direction/strength make a lot of difference. I sometimes know when I'm going sailing but seldom know where until I'm headed out the door.

If winds are light inland waterways will be dead but the Bay will be good somewhere, however if winds are strong and especially if they are pushing water into the inlets then staying in the inland Bays and sailing back into their estuaries is fun.
gwiz

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think now its just a matter of finding out who will attend

once we get a idea of the numbers we can plan the events

we could just wing it with a couple of general ideas depending on the weather

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I raced in the Local Hobie Rookie Regatta yesterday. Janet and I were the only Islands and as such we were allowed a lot of leeway we could pedal or not as we pleased.

They had about 5 heats one run right after another. They would start each heat a few minutes after all the cats finished the course each time. I started out sans drive.

We started right after the Cats went so as not to get in their way but as the race progressed They started lapping us and we were sometimes an obstruction going around the buoys and across the start line.

We both had a good time and they were very nice inviting us back any time but I don't think that kind of thing is going to be the direction we are going to want to go.

The winds were in the 7 to 10 mph if it had been really kicking it probably would have been dangerous especially with no drive or maneuverability. I really think the kinds of races we need to plan would be more along the lines of first one there scouts for a nice picnic site.

And by the way the Yellow Islands are faster. I had the advantage downwind because of the bungee out haul I use but blew my small lead when the hat they gave me for participating in the event got knocked off my head by my sail.

I had to circle twice without my pedal drive to retrieve it running slam over it on the first attempt. It is a nice hat but I took a 720 penalty for wearing it not cinched tight to my skull. :oops:
gwiz

Post subject: Yellow AI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sure wish Fred and I were going to be in Va Beach until the 27th! Gwiz, my hubby, and I have had fun with the Cat Regatta as he mentioned, but also just sailing together. We're hoping to do much more before we leave in mid Sept.
First Landing State Park is a great starting point to access many areas Gwiz has been talking about. Personally I prefer it to Trav-L-Park. We stayed at Trav-L-Park for many years before First Landing got electric and water. We have not been back since. Plus the water access is better from First Landing. You don't have to transport everytime you want to use the yaks. I wouldn't think the Rangers would mind if the AI's were left on the beach during the weekend. They just won't take responsibility for them. If you were to cable them together they'd be fine. Currently there are plenty of spots available for that weekend, but the cabins are booked. The nicest thing about the Park is that you could camp right behind the dunes with a view of the Bay for sunrise and sunset.
One trip Fred and I have taken many times with our Ocean kayaks, but would also work very well with the island, we will be doing it soon, is to put in at the First Landing boat ramp at 64th street and sail around to the campground. We then bike back over for the truck. You could go in reverse and bike back for the truck. If the tides and winds were in your favor you could go from the campground, picnic and play waiting for the tidal change and then sail back. It would be an all day event. Of course this kind of trip could also be made competitive for those that seem to want a race. :)
If you plan an event for next year, we'll be Camp Hosts at First Landing again for July, August, and the first two weeks in September. We'd LOVE to join in!

P.S. Yakman---from where would you purchase your nautical maps? I have found several places online, but could never decide which would be the best. I'd like to try what you suggested in loading up the points on the GPS and then sailing to them, just for fun! We are also Geocachers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good news

I'm off next week we're still headed to a lakefront rental and I plan to pick-up ai number 2 during the trip. They'll both be red which is apparently a less desirable color but the used price was very attractive.

bad news

Crushing workload lately and may have a work travel conflict for the planned VA dates. We'll see if I can move it around.

Post subject: Re: Yellow AI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="
P.S. Yakman---from where would you purchase your nautical maps?[/quote]

I will find out for you

Post subject: bump
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

what do you think should we try for this year or pick a date for next year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakman It doesn't look like we are going to get a crowd but if you are still planning to come down let me know what days are good for you and we can still get together and do some sailing.

I got a lot more work this summer than I expected so I didn't get out much. Buy a fun toy and you will never get to use it enough, fortunately we still have a couple of good sailing months left.
gwiz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm interested...

Tend to agree with the notion that "the AI should be allowed to do all the things it's good at"--peddle, sail, and paddle.

In a hurry now, but will read this thread more carefully and possibly say more later today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree, any racing with the AI should include all of its virtues and vices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next