Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We’ve moved to a new house and until we get a new carport or garage, space is at a bit of a premium.
I’m hoping to store the boat on some racks, cradles or a sling down the side of the house attached to the wall.
What’s the consensus on long term storing the boat on its side?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I seem to recall Hobie mentioning that storing a hull on its side is fine, but I believe they were referring to it lying on its side on a flat surface. Maybe all you need is a piece of scrap carpet and your garage floor!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had a couple of kayaks hanging on the wall in slings for years. The only thing more space efficient is hanging them from the ceiling. I've experienced no issues with doing this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Simply ensure that even, well distributed pressure is applied to as much of the hull as possible to avoid dents and distortions and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've hung my Adventure Island on its side for years. It actually is less prone to deformation that way, since it is stronger vertically than horizontally. Just make sure it is supported as close to the center as possible, so the middle doesn't "sag" over time. Also occasionally it might be wise to rotate it so that it hangs on different sides. I actually do six months on each side (winter storage vs summer usage). But after years of hanging I've never seem any deformation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

During the winter, when we didn't go out often we would store our 3 Hobie kayaks on their sides up against the garage wall on slings. However during the summer we would typically take them out pretty much every weekend so it was a bother to store them in the garage on the racks. We have a fenced in yard compound so we typically would just put them on their sides leaning against the fence, we had them in an area where there was no direct sun exposure, (under a date palm tree).
Result we had mud stains on the sides of all the boats, and flat spots on the sides where they sat against the ground. Didn't seem to hurt anything, and the flat spots went away after we stopped storing on the sides, but the mud stains were permanent.
Also once in a while the boats would be covered in fire ants, which made going out very interesting. If we left the hatches open to dry the boats out, squirrels would hide tons of nuts in the hull, (they were date palm nuts, that really stink and draw lots of bees, both yellow jackets and africanized honey bees (both are deadly). LOL basically if you go near the boats, you die, so we went back to storing in the garage, (true story).
Wasn't such a good idea after all, still trying to live that one down with the wife, (7 yrs later).
FE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine stores on its side on the ground, but I also have some dense foam blocks that I wedge under it along its length to avoid all the weight being on middle