Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone! I just purchased a used Hobie Island Tandem and have to pick it up 2 days from now. In a rush, I purchased a boat trailer to transport it, that I eventually intend to modify and store the boat on it.

However, I wont have time to modify it before I pick up the boat on Saturday. My question is, will the trailer in stock form be able to transport the Hobie for a 2 hour drive on the carpeted stock bunks?

The bunks are about 8 feet long. From the rear of the trailer to the snub block is about 14 feet long (once the winch tower is moved to the front position.

I have a truck, so I can transport the amas in the truck bed, if required. Or I can strap them tightly to the main kayak. What do you think is best?

https://www.stirlingtrailers.com/models/48-168-BT

Interior Width 4'3"
Interior Length 13'
Wheel size 8"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you remove the amas the trailer will probably be able to support the main hull. You should bring tools to be able to move the support rails to the proper fit. Also, bring several straps to tie it down. Drive slowly and stop to check along the way that everything is ok.

Most people use PVC tubing to modify boat trailers to properly support a TI. You can find several threads on this forum on how to do this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply! That is exactly what I ended up doing. However, when I went to pickup the boat it ended up being a Hobie Island Adventure (not the tandem.) I was disappointed it was not the tandem, but it made the loading quite easy.

Now I have to see if there is a way to fit on an extra seat for my kids

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can find a set of trampolines for the Adventure Island, then the kids could sit on those. You would have needed to do that anyway even with a Tandem Island because it only has one extra seat.

On my TI I have taken out my adult children on the tramps many times. It works well even with full-sized adults.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tip! I will tra k a set down. I see a few different options online

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could also go with solid haka seats although that makes it harder to stow away the amas for trailering. Still, may prefer them. There is a huge thread on haka seats in this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks pro10is....Ill check them out!