Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can I manage a TI?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We owned a lot of TI’s and just love the design, ( nothing else on the market like it).
There is a trick to raising and removing the mast. Don’t ever try to put the mast and raise with the bottom tip of the mast sitting on the white bearing, (it will ruin the bearings, or worse yet bend the flange that the bearings ride in, (I damaged several).
When the boat is on the trailer it’s a little more difficult but still doable using this technique, ( which should be in the manual but isn’t, ( Matt)).
We normally put the mast in just after dropping off the trailer, ( easiest time to do it).
Putting the mast in is typically the first thing I do, (before unfurling the tramps, (we never launched any of our TI’s without the tramps deployed, not even once, lol our whole raason for buying the boat in the first place was so I could pile my family, coolers, and crap on them to go sailing).
Ok back on subject…. If you look at the mast mount area you will see a clear area to the left of the white bearing, (mast reciever), and just behind the main AKA mounting bar, (that the AKA bars snap into). That is the mast launching zone, (where you place the mast when righting it).
Now pick up the mast at it’s balance point, ( in the middle). And walk to the left side of the boat just behind the left rear AKA bar around 2-3 ft from the edge of the kayak. Also works just fine from the side of the boat, (90 degrees).
Now drop the bottom of the mast into that little cubby area described above, ( never onto the white bearings, as one would have a natural tendency to do, doing so can damage the bearings).
The bottom of the mast is safely contained in that little cubby area, (shouldn’t slip around). Now you just walk toward the boat hand over hand working the mast to it’s vertical position.
Only when the mast is straight up do you try to lift it and drop it into the mast reciever, (the white bearings). It should click into place on it’s own.
At the end of the day when removing the mast. I hold the mast with one hand, pull the release lever, and raise the mast a little, then with both hands I lift the mast straight up and place the bottom of the mast into the little cubby area, then walk away from the boat hand over hand until you get to the balance point and the mast is horizontal.
Doing it this way you are never at any point lifting any more than the weight of the mast, ( which is extremely light compared to almost any other mast, ( thanks Hobie).
If raising the mast on the trailer, it’s best to do when the AMA’s are still folded in, and make sure you have a least one strap holding the boat down until the AMA’s can be unfolded because with the mast in on the trailer the boat is top heavy and can tip over, (happened to us).
Try it you’ll like it, ( lol).
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another pointer that might help is the problem of having to lift the front of the boat when trying to put it on the trailer.
Of course you can always back the trailer into the water, but that’s always hard on the wheel bearings and the lights so I would try to avoid backing the trailer into the water.
After hurting my back I could no longer lift the bow of the boat to get it onto the trailer at beaches and boat launches.
I ended up just rigging a simple board to the back of the trailer to be used as a ramp. Just drilled a couple holes in the back of the trailer for the end of the board to drop into with pins to keep it from moving.
I then bought a manual boat winch at harbor freight, (I like the ones with the flat strap more than the wire cable ones.
I put a longer than normal strap on ours, ( our TI’s were highly modified and 21-22 ft long with the bowsprits).
We would back the trailer to the water, ( not in the water). Put the board on, hook up the winch, then using a dewalt electric drill wind the boat onto the trailer, (directly from the water, vs needing to lift the bow). Saved my back, and can easily be employed by us older folk, (I’m in my 70’s) to still enjoy sailing and kayaking on our TI’s just a few years longer.
Of course you can go fancy with rollers, and something that looks engineered, ( and likely quite expensive), we did fine with just a board we throw in the back of the truck, and an electric drill.
Just tryin to help here.
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:
We owned a lot of TI’s and just love the design, ( nothing else on the market like it).
There is a trick to raising and removing the mast....
Hope this helps
FE

This approach sounds good. I need to digest it a bit and go have a look at the boat, but so far I think I am picturing it correctly. I may come back with a question or two and maybe even a stick drawing to confirm. Many thanks for taking the time. One of my sailing companions is a guy and doesn't see why I need to do it myself, but I like to be able to do everything myself as far as sailing or getting ready to sail... I know... stubborn here.

Regarding your 2nd post about not dunking the trailer. Again I'll have to muse on this. That wasn't an option with my Rhodes 22 so I haven't thought too much about it although I'm aware that water (esp. salt water) is hard on the bearings and equipment in general. I'll give this some thought as well. The fact that the TI is so light is something I'm thrilled about, but also causing me to change my mental image. I was stunned that I could maneuver it into my garage solo the first day I brought it home a week or so ago.

Much appreciated FE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sgtempe wrote:
...Regarding your 2nd post about not dunking the trailer. Again I'll have to muse on this. That wasn't an option with my Rhodes 22 so I haven't thought too much about it although I'm aware that water (esp. salt water) is hard on the bearings and equipment in general...

Concerning submerging the trailer in the water, most boat trailers are designed for this and I've been doing it for 37 years without any major issues with many different boats and trailers. It's a matter of being more concerned about your body than your trailer. It's far easier on your body to launch and retrieve most boats, including the TI, with the trailer submerged than without. I would never launch and retrieve a boat without the trailer in the water. If my trailer breaks, I can repair it relatively easily, if my back breaks, that's an entirely different problem.

If you're concerned about the bearings, use Bearing Buddies and keep them greased. I've never had a bearing fail doing this. Disconnect the trailer lights before submerging and ensure they're rated as submersible. If they're not, they can be easily replaced with ones that are.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pro10is wrote:
Concerning submerging the trailer in the water, most boat trailers are designed for this and I've been doing it for 37 years without any major issues with many different boats and trailers. It's a matter of being more concerned about your body than your trailer....

good point... I remember bearing buddies.... I used them on the previous trailer. Thank you.